Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
you can keep heaven
you can keep heaven
Often i here that if i'm wrong i lose everything and i choose theism i gain everything my response is no. If i'm wrong i have lost nothing and if i choose theism i have gained nothing. Because  i have gained all that i have right or reason to demand or expect.  Demanding more is pure greed .

And setting even that aside who in there right mind would desire an after life the very concept is more nightmarish then any i have ever encountered. It doesn't matter the type of after life or what you would be doing in it the idea is awful.And worst still as far as i can think on the matter pointless   

So if heaven exists theists can have it .if hell exists then so be it ill spend it weeping for those trapped in heaven for thou they may never realize it (thou truth be told i think the majority would) there position as far as i'm concerned is just as bad as mine .

Oh and those theists who say they will lose nothing if there wrong what makes them so sure it's a god that punishes people.and setting that aside you wasted a life believing a lie and will gain nothing for living it.

Just my thoughts
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

RE: you can keep heaven
You're in luck, my friend, since it's all made up.
“Life is like a grapefruit. Well, it's sort of orangey-yellow and dimpled on the outside, wet and squidgy in the middle. It's got pips inside, too. Oh, and some people have half a one for breakfast.”  - Ford Prefect
(November 23, 2016 at 4:28 pm)Primordial Bisque Wrote: You're in luck, my friend, since it's all made  up

I know the probability is absurdly low 

I was just thinking even if it were true it would not be desirable in the least 

This life is real and it's good (because it always have the potential to become good) and death is closure and nothing to fear it's the universe moving and i'm just a part. And even if the universe should die (if it truly can) then it's merely the ending of  the real greatest story ever told. I know how i want my part to be.

And to those who say your action good or[Image: arrow-10x10.png] ill have no effect because there is no reward or punishment i retort only a sociopath thinks in such terms . and why would i try and bribe a monster
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Heaven doesn't really appeal to me. I've realized that, if I did manage to make it into heaven, this god would remove so much of me that it doesn't like, that it will cease being me anyway. What's left of me will likely enjoy it there, because it won't be allowed to think otherwise, but it will merely be a shell of what I am now. It's pretty creepy, and not really that much worse than fire and brimstone hell, if that's the version of hell that any particular christian believes in.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

But guys sounds from Hell have been recorded so it has been scientifically proven!!!

How can you listen to it and then not run to Church? FSM Grin
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(November 23, 2016 at 4:44 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Heaven doesn't really appeal to me. I've realized that, if I did manage[Image: arrow-10x10.png] to make it into heaven, this god would remove so much of me that it doesn't like, that it will cease being me anyway. What's left of me will likely enjoy it there, because it won't be allowed to think otherwise, but it will merely be a shell of what I am now. It's pretty creepy, and not really that much worse than fire and brimstone hell, if that's the version of hell that any particular christian believes in.

I agree in any notion of heaven i have heard the beings that go there no longer sound human.why go to heaven when it's not really you going there just some stripped down hollow approximation of yourself . I am the whole me now and i never wish to be anything else

Inuit Proverb

I certainly don't desire any sort of eternal life, unless it's one I had total control over. But I agree, heaven sounds as dull as a traffic jam. No thanks.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 23, 2016 at 4:51 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: But guys sounds from Hell have been recorded so it has been scientifically proven!!!

How can you listen to it and then not run to Church?  FSM Grin

Sounds exactly like one of my Halloween types  Tongue

(November 23, 2016 at 4:51 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: But guys sounds from Hell have been recorded so it has been scientifically proven!!!

How can you listen to it and then not run to Church?  FSM Grin

Sounds exactly like one of my Halloween types  Tongue

Inuit Proverb

The Pascal's Wager crew always makes two absurd assumptions:

A - that the god in question is their god.  Want to have some fun?  Next time some douche hits you with it ask what they will do if when they die Odin demands to know why they did not die with a sword in their hands?

B - They also assume that their all-powerful god is a dumb fuck who can be easily fooled by someone saying "I believe."  Who makes up a god that is that fucking stupid?
I agree, even if there were a heaven I would want no part of it. I would want no part of such an asshole god.

My favorite theory is the two husbands/wives. Your first spouse passes and you miss them but you move on and find another. You love this one just as much as the first but now you love both. It's okay cause you can't have the first back. But wait there's more... now y'all are all in heaven. Is this a love triangle now? Mormon two wives thing going down in heaven? I'm assuming 'heaven' doesn't have jealousy so all parties are cool with that. Or is there not the idea of being with your loved ones like that? In the movie Michael, Travolta says they don't have sex in heaven... that sounds like a pretty awful heaven to me. Who wants to go all of eternity without sex? *Christians: Oh but you are past worldly desires when dead* Did you hear me? NO. FUN.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me not fear heaven/hell Fleeing Jesus 128 13358 June 18, 2019 at 5:08 am
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? Dragonfly 222 27568 December 18, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11359 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2306 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  how to hold on to atheism when things keep getting worse? Rextos 26 4496 June 6, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  Why do Deists believe in Heaven? Heat 33 10196 October 26, 2015 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  The Problems with Heaven (besides not existing) Mental Outlaw 0 1067 July 10, 2015 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Mental Outlaw
  Some questions about heaven and hell (for any believer) Dystopia 26 6116 June 17, 2015 at 4:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Parents forcing a christian convention on me - how to keep sane? coolfunkDJ 68 12745 April 4, 2015 at 5:06 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  What is the point of Heaven? Manowar 42 8754 September 4, 2014 at 12:16 am
Last Post: ignoramus