Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How do UK atheists feel about the Monarchy?
How do UK atheists feel about the Monarchy?
Just musing.  I was watching "The Crown" to escape the hideousness that religion and stupidity have foisted upon Amurikka.

I respect Queen Elizabeth II - seriously.  The woman has borne a huge burden with class her entire life.  Sure, she never has to worry about
where to live and picking up groceries for dinner, but she didn't get to choose.  She isn't actually "free".

And she has that role because she - or at least the system - is built upon the idea that the sovereign is literally chosen by god.
AND she is defender of the faith!  (Why Henry VIII's actions didn't create an atheistic country is a bit of a puzzle.) 

She doesn't actually RULE.  She's pretty much ceremonial.  It's gorgeous, absolutely, but . . . 

So my questions for the day (primarily to UK friends) is:  Does your atheism impact how you view the Monarchy?  Do you think that the Western European
trend toward atheism will eventually abolish the Monarchy?  What changes do you see coming?  (Whatever atheism will change over here in 'Murikka can't
come fast enough.)

Fuzz
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: How do UK atheists feel about the Monarchy?
Quote: Does your atheism impact how you view the Monarchy?

I used to be quite anti-monarchy but It doesn't really bother me that much anymore.

Quote:Do you think that the Western European trend toward atheism will eventually abolish the Monarchy?

No.

Quote:What changes do you see coming?

None.
Not British, but as my atheism has flourished, the religious underpinnings of the monarchy are starting to grate my sensibilities, as they say.

And while not on par with Mormonism, Church of England is a hideously false religion, and yes, I realize the monarchy extends back into a catholic era as well.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

and I don't see 'atheism' as a threat to the monarchy, it would be entirely possible to continue with no religious underpinnings at all, and it probably will as long as the folks in Britain manage the monarchy so as to be a net positive for cash flow on the balance sheet.

They won't follow the monarch so much as follow the money, IOW.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I like the ginger one that's about it.
BTW, I think the royal family desperately needs a big LGBT 'thing'. Prince Charles does a Caitlin Jenner would fill the bill.

Or Camilla does a Chaz Bono . . . .

I would like to see the Royal Family meet La Madame Guillotine. Seriously. And then start feeding it everyone who boasts about being in-line to the throne.

People can't help who they were born to, but they can resist making a claim to the throne.

You can see the Royal Family in two ways. As people who just happened to be born into a certain position.

Or the human face of the Establishment which seeks to exploit the common person while denying them any opportunities and which gives only as much democratic power as it can get away with. If it wasn't for the Royal Family then we wouldn't have the unelected House of Lords for example.

So yes it isn't fair on the royals to have their heads chopped off, but nor was it fair for them to get all the privileges. When you're talking about government, life isn't fair. Instead you need to do things for the greater good.

We need rid of the Royal Family. Permanently.
The Royal family has infinitely more credibility than any politician, the connection to the Cof E is merely a hangover from Tudors that should be discarded.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
As we've discovered in the US, Mathilda, is there seems to be a fairly deep seated yearning for a national soap opera of sorts, hence the popularity of the Kardashians, for instance.

So lopping off heads, while satisfying, isn't going to eliminate the issue, it will just mutate it into something else you'll be stuck with.

And it might even converge all the way around and a media whore (Trump, for instance) will wind up running the show.

The royals are a parasitic irrelevance. They have zero impact on my life in any way I can detect (a bit like gods in that respect!)
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do atheists feel about name days? Der/die AtheistIn 25 2868 November 30, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5029 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2199 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14333 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  As a now 13 year old atheist I feel obligated to use 4chan ScienceAf 17 3579 December 30, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I feel a bit relieved. Little Rik 238 24202 July 5, 2016 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  I hate Church and still feel obligated to go dragonman73 20 4428 May 2, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does anyone else feel like this? dyresand 21 3963 December 11, 2015 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Joods
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5430 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Do you feel (new) Atheist culture? Alex K 58 15006 July 31, 2015 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist