Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeopathy
Homeopathy
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=2366

If you ever wanted to make your ears bleed, watch the video. Luckily Dr. Steven Novella listened for the rest of us and explained this woman's complete idiocy.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Homeopathy
As Tim Minchin said: You know how we call alternative medicine if it works? Medicine.

edit: W00T! 2000 posts.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
While homeopathy does have some legitimate remedies(as far as I know), what's damaging is the reasoning behind them and the entire body of misinformation that it's based it.

I can't watch the video because I'm at work, but I've seen a few hilarious homeopathy apologists.
- Meatball
I didn't think it had any legitimate remedies. I think you might be confusing it with other natural remedies, which are proper treatments (like St John's Wort). Homeopathic remedies involve taking something that causes illness (or to be specific, the same symptoms that the illness you are trying to cure has) and diluting it with water repeatedly until trace amounts (i.e. none) of the original substance are left.
The phrase Homeopathy has been hijacked to mean "natural" but as Adrian points out the real meaning of homeopathy means diluting a substance that creates something that resembles what ails you (like dry skin or rash), shake violently, dilute again, shake again, and so on and so forth. It's like a vaccine idea, but there are no antibodies for dry skin or rash so it does not work that way.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
btw, be sure to read the book Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, well worth the read. It deals with a lot of these topics, including homeopathy, water memory, the Progenium XY complex, the MMR hoax, health scares (antivac), bad statistics, the works. I enjoyed the read a lot, and it was educational as well as funny.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
As James Randi says, the first step of Homeopathy is to use a substance that resembles the symptom you're trying to cure, and the second step is don't do that.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
As I understand, there are various levels of dilution used in Homeopathy, and not all of them are absurdly sparse. Some known natural remedies happen to cross over with homeopathic ones.

That's what I've understood.
- Meatball
Meatball,

There are different strengths but ALL homeopathic remedies are designed to remove all the active substance. The starting solution has one drop of active ingredient to 100 drops of water. A reduction is performed by taking one drop of solution and adding it to 100 drops of water, then stir. A 10x power of homeopathic remedy has had 10 reductions performed on it so 100x will have ten time the probability of being just water but even at 10x there is little chance of any substance making it into the final pill. It is based on avogadro's number and the reductions should make it impossible for any of the substance to be left in the pill except by some unlucky accident where one determined particle managed to find the dropper over and over again. The weirdest part of homeopathy is that the more reductions that are done the higher the potency is said to be.

Rhizo
(November 2, 2009 at 4:52 pm)Meatball Wrote: While homeopathy does have some legitimate remedies(as far as I know),

Please name two,citing your evidence.

[Image: evil-homeopathist.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russia Declares Homeopathy "dangerous 'pseudoscience' that does not work" FatAndFaithless 58 14459 February 12, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Homeopathy for ebola Jacob(smooth) 14 2722 August 17, 2014 at 9:12 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Homeopathy found "Worthless" Paul the Human 9 4309 April 23, 2010 at 6:27 am
Last Post: Zen Badger