Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 3:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This isn't a good way to convince an atheist..
This isn't a good way to convince an atheist..
So I recently torrented the 6th season of Dexter. I've long known he was an atheist, but there's never been any confrontation between him and a theist. Here it is!
My notion is if 40 million people do stupid shit, it doesn't make it any less stupid.

Also here are what others think about the little conversation.
[Image: 50c12237ce2663cc538bf642517e02c1.png]

RE: This isn't a good way to convince an atheist..
I would have thought that theists would LOOOOOOVE that Dexter is an atheist; it would bolster their prejudices that we're all baby-eating, people murdering, moral-less heathens.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
I love Dexter! (the seasons through Jon Lithgow's appearance anyways). The last few seasons (I have not seen the final season yet) have all been fairly annoying and way too predictable. As far as the season/scenes in question here, clearly the issue they have with Dexter being an atheist is that even though he is a serial killer, he seems to have a far superior moral compass than most and it is simply a result of following a secular code. That season in particular is when he faces a theist who uses the bible for clearly immoral reasons. It is very much a play on the gray-area of morality. As such, I don't think they did a great job with it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Our sense of morality is evolutionary, and IS in every human, which is why claims of the supernatural bastardizes the nature of reality and needlessly pits humans against each other over superstition.

Faith is not a virtue, it is a crutch.
I don't watch much TV, but I've heard of this show. What is the basic premise?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(November 11, 2013 at 12:05 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I don't watch much TV, but I've heard of this show. What is the basic premise?

Serial Killer who only kills other serial killers/murderers
[Image: giphy.gif]
(November 11, 2013 at 12:05 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I don't watch much TV, but I've heard of this show. What is the basic premise?

It was fantastic.
A hyper-reality based show about a serial killer who kills only horrible criminals because his father was a cop and trained him how not to get caught. 8 Seasons of awesome-sauce in my flawless opinion. I wish it was still on. Showtime wrapped it this year and I just loved it. A very dark theme set in a very sunny warm place made for a really cool show with great guest stars. Season 4 was the best - with John Lithgow.

Watch it and love it.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(November 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm)Cinjin Wrote:

It was fantastic.
A hyper-reality based show about a serial killer who kills only horrible criminals because his father was a cop and trained him how not to get caught. 8 Seasons of awesome-sauce in my flawless opinion. I wish it was still on. Showtime wrapped it this year and I just loved it. A very dark theme set in a very sunny warm place made for a really cool show with great guest stars. Season 4 was the best - with John Lithgow.

Watch it and love it.
Not to mention he works for the homicide department and his sister is a detective.

Also, that "faith" shit doesn't really get you far with me. I have faith that I'll survive from jumping the Grand Canyon with no parachute. See how stupid they sound?
(November 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm)TheBeardedDude Wrote: Serial Killer who only kills other serial killers/murderers

(November 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm)Rigor Mortis Wrote: Not to mention he works for the homicide department and his sister is a detective.

Sounds like a combination of Breaking Bad and I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells. Only if there were 8 seasons I guess the show was on before the book came out...

Meh, I don't need another TV show to get hooked on. RESIST!!
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(November 11, 2013 at 11:46 am)TheBeardedDude Wrote: I love Dexter! (the seasons through Jon Lithgow's appearance anyways). The last few seasons (I have not seen the final season yet) have all been fairly annoying and way too predictable. As far as the season/scenes in question here, clearly the issue they have with Dexter being an atheist is that even though he is a serial killer, he seems to have a far superior moral compass than most and it is simply a result of following a secular code. That season in particular is when he faces a theist who uses the bible for clearly immoral reasons. It is very much a play on the gray-area of morality. As such, I don't think they did a great job with it.

[Image: Lithgow-Dances.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek: Picard - Way Better then I had Hoped AFTT47 17 1309 January 29, 2020 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Please Tell Me This Isn't True Minimalist 60 3390 December 11, 2017 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Vicar tells kids Santa isn't real! Norfolk And Chance 5 1711 December 18, 2014 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  When a KUDOS Just Isn't Enough Cinjin 13 5403 March 9, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How to jump into an ice covered pool, the German way Norfolk And Chance 0 721 October 19, 2012 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  This is way cool! orogenicman 1 1243 March 14, 2012 at 9:35 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Virgin Elite - The Posher Way to Travel Tiberius 1 2312 July 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Some of us also draw, by the way... Ryft 7 3135 January 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13