Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books on writing/language?
Books on writing/language?
I'm progressively getting more interested in the nature of language and how it impacts us at a practical level, but also as a medium for art. I'm all about creating - whether it be music, poetry, philosophical arguments, doesn't matter. I like creating and I'd like to try my hand at different forms of writing (poetry, lyrics, inspirational thoughts/philosophies.. you name it), but basically I'm searching for some sort of book that is inspiring and/or instructional but also fun to read on this topic.

Any ideas where to begin?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Books on writing/language?
Strunk and White*- The Elements of Style- has probably been the most influential book of the 20th century on writing. It's also great.

For something totally different, I really liked Stephen King's On Writing.

I also think that reading poetry- lots of it, in all different styles- will help. I recommend something like The Norton Anthology of Modern Poetry.

*- Edit- This is E.B. White, who wrote Charlotte's Web and all his other great children's books (my favorite was The Trumpet of the Swan).
These books seem exactly like what I'm looking for. That's a great start, thanks!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
There's also another Norton Anthology of Poetry that's one volume, it's pretty comprehensive (and sitting on the shelf next to me - it's a beast of over 2000 pages but cost less than half than most textbooks). Instead of contemporary or modern in the title, it has neither, and Ferguson, Salter, and Stallworthy are the folks who put it together.

Also, read The Elements of Style with a critical eye - it's rather oldschool, but the basics are there from my understanding. But one thing with creative writing - although there are general rules best to adhere to (show not tell), learning when to bend them or ignore them is important (for example: "He punched Carl in the face" is telling, but showing the punch, "He retracted his fingers, lurched his arm backwards, and slammed the weight of his arm and fist against Carl's face" is actually rather ridiculous, and telling would be more straightforward and allow faster progression to the events that follow, which are more interesting than simply punching - showing the consequences of punching Carl has more intrigue than showing a punch).

Another thing - Don't stop reading. Books show styles and techniques. Linguistics is also something worth studying to help formulate writing. I'd recommend "The Language Instinct" by Pinker, although I have not personally finished it (but I did take a Linguistics course), because understanding the fundamentals of language is important. And that book has a chapter on word order, basically how to be more or less confusing - that chapter alone is worth the entire book.
Awesome, thanks Psykhronic! Getting really pumped about starting some of these books already!
Steven King's "On Writing" is defintely one of my favourites. Also Dinty Moore's "The Mindful Writer."

As a writer, I prefer writing books that are more descriptive than prescriptive. In fact, I'm thinking of working on a book that details the evolution of a short story I wrote from its genesis to consultations with a bestselling author to its eventual conclusion, complete with several drafts of the story and how it got to each point. Maybe when I actually get around to publishing it, I'd recommend it. Of course, that'll likely have to wait until I get at least one book out.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  learning a certain language to communicate to believers and the religious Quill01 13 905 January 8, 2024 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: neil
  Valk's is writing for Disney?? no one 3 360 August 27, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  One thing I hate about the human language. Brian37 13 1105 June 25, 2021 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Question regarding language Macoleco 4 581 June 6, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  In what ways can I improve my writing mechanics? GODZILLA 7 948 May 12, 2019 at 7:26 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Panel Discussion on Personally Influential Books Neo-Scholastic 20 2379 November 20, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  English Language Books in Germany Rhondazvous 2 439 September 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Learning Hindi as a second language Alexmahone 2 496 June 5, 2018 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Quick Poll: Do you speak more than one language? Edwardo Piet 40 4172 April 27, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Antares
  Minimilist and others...can you recommend books? Mystic 5 630 April 17, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Aegon