Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YEC Girlfriend
YEC Girlfriend
Hi everybody. This is my first time here, so please don't hate me too much if I'm posting this in the incorrect place. Tongue

Basically, my girlfriend and I are both 18 years old. She is a YEC Christian, and I was a Christian too when our relationship began about 2 years ago. She's my first real girlfriend, and I'm her first serious boyfriend.

Despite me starting off our relationship as a Christian, I have slowly (but surely) moved away from Christianity, especially fundamentalism, and now embrace a more humanistic (perhaps even very loosely deistic) philosophy. My girlfriend, however, remains a YEC.

I have kept this transition to myself for the most part. She knows that I am more politically liberal than she is and that I hold science to a higher regard than she does. However, she doesn't know that I view "TheEarthIs6000YearsOldism" as lunacy or that I don't accept the idea of the Benevolent-but-Vengeful God as likely.

I could use some advice on how to move forward from here. She is a really smart, funny, sweet girl, and I'm perfectly fine with her being a Christian and don't see it as a deal-breaker. I was raised in a Fundy family, so I can put up with it for the most part. I don't know how/what to tell her about my views though, and, as we go to college and as our relationship progresses, I could see this becoming a point of contention, especially if we don't talk about it beforehand.

Any advice or the sharing of similar experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks! Big Grin
RE: YEC Girlfriend
It seems you are starting with a tolerant position, but worry she might prove to be intolerant.

I think if she proves to be unwilling or unable to reciprocate your tolerance, then in the long run, your relationship is not equitable and could only continue at the expense of your conscience.

So you need to find out of she is tolerance, or could be eased into tolerance.

Why don't you start by introducing her to the what made you question the validity of YEC, and see what her attitude towards the fact that people with same judgement and knowledge as her or her church elders may think it is sin, not to disbelieve, but to believe, every word in the bible.
Be careful when questioning her about YEC because she might think you're an old earth creationist which is still a variety of fundamentalism. She'll question you on scripture interpretation, not science.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Welcome to our forums!

Congratulations on climbing out of (most) of the Bronze and Iron Age superstition that is Christianity.

I hate to break this to you, but it may be next to impossible to move her away from YEC. I have a family member that has been a YEC from about the same age as your girlfriend, and she's more than double that age now.

Everyone else in the family, including other Christians she trusts have tried to convince her that believing in YEC is tantamount to believing in s geocentric universe, but she won't budge.

So, you might have to learn to live with it. But hell, you are only 18. Chances are you will have several more relationships before your mid 20's.

Sorry I have no advice for you.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I was a Christian when my wife and I married. My wife is still a Christian and I'm an atheist. We have very honest communication in our marriage. My only advice is to be honest with your GF. Tell her all you are feeling. If she asks any questions, remain open, and give her clear, concise, answers. DO NOT attack her faith or call her belief silly (or any other such derogatory sounding comments - though you may be tempted). If you and she are going to make it for the 'long haul' (however long that is in your mind), then her response will demonstrate her desires. I wish you well, and I hope you find your balance.

Welcome
(November 23, 2013 at 7:28 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: I was a Christian when my wife and I married. My wife is still a Christian and I'm an atheist. We have very honest communication in our marriage. My only advice is to be honest with your GF. Tell her all you are feeling. If she asks any questions, remain open, and give her clear, concise, answers. DO NOT attack her faith or call her belief silly (or any other such derogatory sounding comments - though you may be tempted). If you and she are going to make it for the 'long haul' (however long that is in your mind), then her response will demonstrate her desires. I wish you well, and I hope you find your balance.

Sage advice indeed.

I might add, that if you are open with your feelings and responses to her questions, be prepared for her to end the relationship.

If her other fundamentalist friends, family, pastor find out that you're no longer a fundy, or worse, a disbeliver Devil, she may be pressured to end the relationship.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Get one of these t-shirts.

[Image: anti_creationism_tshirt-r1dfb1b9914554ff...g=0xffffff]

It will get the conversation started.
(November 23, 2013 at 7:36 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: I might add, that if you are open with your feelings and responses to her questions, be prepared for her to end the relationship.

If her other fundamentalist friends, family, pastor find out that you're no longer a fundy, or worse, a disbeliver Devil, she may be pressured to end the relationship.

Yes, sadly these scenarios could conceivably occur, but then our man would have his answer. Be prepared is the key - Good call Simon Moon.
Quote:If her other fundamentalist friends, family, pastor find out that you're no longer a fundy, or worse, a disbeliver, she may be pressured to end the relationship.

It could be worse. If they were muslims she would be joining the rock-throwing party.
(November 23, 2013 at 6:56 pm)FreeAndEasy Wrote: Hi everybody. This is my first time here, so please don't hate me too much if I'm posting this in the incorrect place. Tongue

Basically, my girlfriend and I are both 18 years old. She is a YEC Christian, and I was a Christian too when our relationship began about 2 years ago. She's my first real girlfriend, and I'm her first serious boyfriend.

Despite me starting off our relationship as a Christian, I have slowly (but surely) moved away from Christianity, especially fundamentalism, and now embrace a more humanistic (perhaps even very loosely deistic) philosophy. My girlfriend, however, remains a YEC.

I have kept this transition to myself for the most part. She knows that I am more politically liberal than she is and that I hold science to a higher regard than she does. However, she doesn't know that I view "TheEarthIs6000YearsOldism" as lunacy or that I don't accept the idea of the Benevolent-but-Vengeful God as likely.

I could use some advice on how to move forward from here. She is a really smart, funny, sweet girl, and I'm perfectly fine with her being a Christian and don't see it as a deal-breaker. I was raised in a Fundy family, so I can put up with it for the most part. I don't know how/what to tell her about my views though, and, as we go to college and as our relationship progresses, I could see this becoming a point of contention, especially if we don't talk about it beforehand.

Any advice or the sharing of similar experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks! Big Grin

Personally what I would do is tell her honestly your stance but also let her know that its not actually a big deal and you don't disrespect her view and still love her.

But only do this if the subject comes up, I see no need for a big "there's something I need to tell you moment"

My wife is a spiritualist and we have had some heated discussions on the subject. At the end of the day she wont be moved from her beliefs and I wont be moved from my lack of belief so we just don't talk about it now so it isn't an issue.

I do get the feeling that if I go before her my "spirit" will start to visit her and admit i was wrong.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible girlfriend?? Manowar 30 4820 July 26, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Quick YEC Debunks vulcanlogician 214 36475 March 28, 2018 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9066 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  My girlfriend is a scientologist.... I'm not... Giorgos.vr 31 6568 December 14, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  My girlfriend got discriminated by some of her family MJ the Skeptical 27 4925 June 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  My angel girlfriend video! leodeo 7 2155 November 2, 2013 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  My girlfriend wants our kids introduced to "all major world religions" Engel 38 22897 May 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: AthiestAtheist
  Girlfriend's mom wont accept my atheism - what should we do? CatMeUp 18 9240 February 1, 2012 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Help with a Christian girlfriend Danvelope223 74 24787 January 18, 2012 at 5:59 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Atheism and my girlfriend SilenceTheOppressors 20 9780 February 6, 2009 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: chatpilot