Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does rationality work on an individual basis?
Modern capitalist western ideology preaches individualism as a pinnacle of freedom and democracy. Is there any evidence that a society or a world full of people making individual rational choices will have a rational outcome?
RE: Does rationality work on an individual basis?
Only if they do so collectively.
That would require humans to think about others, beyond their own individual wants.
What you're suggesting doesn't even make sense. If you think about others, you are necessarily doing so because you want to.

As for your original post, you seem to cleave off anything like morality. Given there is a world with creatures with the capacity to reason, they'll necessarily (if they don't want to get picked off) have to have some kind of cooperation. This is where employing one's rational decision-making through moral decisions comes into play.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(November 24, 2013 at 3:24 pm)MindForgedManacle Wrote: What you're suggesting doesn't even make sense. If you think about others, you are necessarily doing so because you want to.

As for your original post, you seem to cleave off anything like morality. Given there is a world with creatures with the capacity to reason, they'll necessarily (if they don't want to get picked off) have to have some kind of cooperation. This is where employing one's rational decision-making through moral decisions comes into play.

I agree. I'd also like to add that the idea of a "rational outcome" is nonsensical."
.... If I lived in a far off, extremely secluded land, I find the need for visitors far less pertinent than living in a farm community and relying on the tomato farmer and horse rancher to trade for my fruits and smithy.
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Spiritual Basis of The Republican Ideology Leonardo17 38 2081 September 30, 2023 at 10:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1080 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  How "reincarnation" might work? chasbanner 50 4515 April 10, 2016 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Athene
  The Extremis of Rationality Mudhammam 32 4957 December 6, 2015 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Poll - 'Waiting for godot' a significant Philosophical Work? ManMachine 15 4518 January 21, 2015 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Shocked The burden of proof relating to conciousness, free choice and rationality marx_2012 107 33821 December 6, 2014 at 12:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Does this work express the feelings of existential angst shakuntala 1 823 November 21, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  the true basis of moral subjectivism? dazzn 14 8647 May 28, 2013 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Cato
  An argument from basis. Mystic 33 10294 October 26, 2012 at 9:23 am
Last Post: JosephBowie
  God as the hidden basis to our knowledge. Mystic 26 11243 May 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris