Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The importance of NOT KNOWING.
The importance of NOT KNOWING.
I'm brand new to these forums... This is my first post.

THE IMPORTANCE OF NOT KNOWING

We always try to fill in the blanks.

Imagine, for a moment, you have been transported back in time many thousands of years. You’re living on an African savannah and are getting hungry. You think to yourself; “Where is the best place for me to bag a nice juicy gazelle?”

After some thought, you have a brilliant idea… “I’ll check out the watering hole!” If you are consistently good at answering questions like this, there is a much better chance that you will survive and propagate the species. And if that good idea was brought about by a brain that had experienced, what we now know was a random, yet beneficial, genetic mutation… Your offspring will also have a greater likelihood of survival and propagation. And so it goes…

Natural Selection pushes us to gradually improve our ability to, among other things, correctly answer hypothetical questions and Evolution hard-wires the improvements into us. Wanting to know the answers to questions becomes instinctual.

Religion was our first attempt to “fill in the blanks” on the biggest and scariest questions. Everything from “What are those little lights up in the night sky?” to “Why did my baby get sick and die?”

Thousands of years ago we took our best shot at the answers but we had no way to really know if we were right. We didn’t know that we lived on a spherical planet in space. We didn’t know about the true causes of disease. But we still tried to “fill in the blanks” because, if nothing else, it made us feel better.

As the Ages have passed… We, as a species, have accumulated more sound information and a much better grasp of the true nature of the Universe. Today, every single one of us has a more accurate concept of the nature of the cosmos and the intricacies of biology than any of those ancient humans. For that matter, every one of us has a more accurate view of these things than any bible character, ancient philosopher, “Founding Father” or ANYONE born more than a few decades ago. Yet, we never stop trying to “fill in the blanks” and we still like it when the answer makes us feel better.

As scary and unsettling as it might be, at times we humans have to “grow up” and simply be content with the idea that sometimes the best and only answer is… “We simply don’t know” or perhaps, “We don’t know yet”. We always have to remember that just because a “made up” answer makes us “feel better” is no justification for concluding our answer is correct.

“Is there an afterlife?” As a rational human I must note that there is absolutely no credible evidence that there is and plenty of evidence that there is not. On the other hand, there is no way to absolutely prove a negative. So… The answer simply has to be something like, “Probably not, but we just don’t know for sure.”

Does this mean that our lives are worthless and without meaning? Why should it!? It seems to me that if this is the only life I can expect…. I should be much more motivated to make the most of the here and now.

Each of us DOES have an impact. Each of us does leave a legacy. I will be content with making the most of those and try not to worry quite so much about “filling in the blanks” even if it makes me feel better.
"There's always a bigger fish."
Qui-Gon Jin (Star Wars)
RE: The importance of NOT KNOWING.
I'm glad you got that off your chest!
psst psst.... everyone around here is already aware of all that Wink except, perhaps, the theists...
Looks like you are going to fit in just fine round here.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
I wholeheartedly agree. 'Cept I ain't so good at articulatin' it as you.
(November 27, 2013 at 6:03 am)pocaracas Wrote: I'm glad you got that off your chest!
psst psst.... everyone around here is already aware of all that Wink except, perhaps, the theists...

I've been on these forums for about a week now. Met some very nice people. (Especially in the shout-room.) My post was simply an attempt to let people know a little about who I am, how I speak and a bit more than what's in my "intro". It wasn't meant to impress or instruct. I wanted to lay some ground work for the last two sentences.

I came to these forums in search of rational, civil, and free thinking people of good will. And yours' was the first reply to my first post.

I'll assume you you know the meaning of the word "snarky". Well... the shoe fits and you should slip it on.
Qui-Gon Jin (Star Wars)
After a week and over 20 posts, you came back here to say that?
Oh the internet still has much to do on you...
Try 4chan, perhaps, /b/.... lose faith in humanity... then come back.

Enjoy the "impact" I made in you! Tongue
Thanks for re-enforcing my point, pacaracas.

I've been poking around on the net as long as it has been in existence. (I've got the grey hair to prove it.) Unimaginative, snide and adolescent behavior has, indeed, become very common place. I have no expectation that I will change that... but I do like to point it out on occasion. I'll just have to be content with being a better writer than you.

So... I know you want to have the last word here. Take your best snarky shot. You win. Worship (and thanks again for making my point.)

PS: Want to surprise our audience? Put a sock in it and don't reply. THAT would be impressive!
Qui-Gon Jin (Star Wars)
Hrm.

I read this thread twice to see where it was that caused you to go super jerk, Prime.

I'm not seeing anything that should have set your panties in a twist so much. Having a bad day or something?
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(December 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm)ThePrimeSingularity Wrote: I came to these forums in search of rational, civil, and free thinking people of good will. And yours' was the first reply to my first post.

I'll assume you you know the meaning of the word "snarky". Well... the shoe fits and you should slip it on.

The opposite of snarky isn't civil. It's politically correct. I think what we want is a golden mean between the two.
Welcome ThePrime to our little corner of the web.

Take a coat off and stay awhile.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Importance of Culture chimp3 1 615 July 18, 2016 at 6:51 am
Last Post: abaris
  Theists and not knowing Wunsbee 5 1717 January 8, 2014 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Wunsbee