Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 7:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists and not knowing
Theists and not knowing
My sister and I were talking about deep subjects like religion. She expressed a thought, "I don't know what happens after we die." My mother immediately turned and exclaimed, "What are you talking about!? That's COMPLETELY ABSURD. We know exactly what happens after we die." She then proceeded to lecture us about Catholicism and God. On and on and on. She was legit quite angry.

These things are a common occurrence. It cracks me up. The nerve for her to say 'I don't know'! How absurd *sarcastic* It's not like my mother believes in a talking snake or anything... hahahaha
RE: Theists and not knowing
Yeah...what Bill Maher calls "the central story!"

It bugs me when anyone says they know anything about the afterlife with certainty. That's just impossible, because you can't really speak with the dead. Even if you try, you could be branded a witch by the christians or whatever.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

If my mother was that religious... I would have ran away straight to a foster home.
What gets me is how "I don't know," is so often spun by the religious into an intellectual weakness. "What, you don't know? Aha, so I'm right." It's like they mistake the profession of knowledge for the possession of that knowledge, and the lack of that profession as an admission of wrongdoing.

It's just... sad.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 5, 2014 at 8:12 pm)Belac Enrobso Wrote: If my mother was that religious... I would have ran away straight to a foster home.

Trust me, I'm thinking about it... hahaha

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3277 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18742 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Saluting all the good and great theists we have had on this site. Whateverist 103 16860 November 6, 2015 at 7:14 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheists who preach religion and theists who preach atheism Matt Gabe 8 3798 December 25, 2014 at 4:55 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  When will theists bring something new and fresh? tor 75 14957 April 7, 2014 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  The importance of NOT KNOWING. ThePrimeSingularity 16 2375 December 4, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: freedomfromforum
  I don't believe theists and reject their claims of theism. The Reality Salesman01 21 9574 May 14, 2013 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  If you had a button that would turn all theists into atheists and agnostic? KillYourself 35 11989 November 17, 2011 at 10:27 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko