Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism in Extreme Athletes
Atheism in Extreme Athletes
For whatever reason Atheists are way overrepresented in danger sports. In my personal life almost all of my friends are involved one way or another in extremely dangerous activities and they are overwhelmingly Atheist. Perhaps non-conformity in societal beliefs is related to non-conformity in lifestyle. Some also believe there is a genetic link between risk taking and liberal thinking. Either way here is what Alex Honnold has to say about being an Atheist.

Who is Alex Honnold you ask? Probably nobody on the planet risks death and our inevitable non-existence as much as he does.

[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Atheism in Extreme Athletes
I've never thought of that before.

I skydive when I can afford it.

Hmmmmmm . . . .

(Though I know some of our religious "friends" will claim it's us trying to find meaning in an empty life that can only be filled by <insert deity here>).

ROFLOL
Dying to live, living to die.
Maybe extreme athletes are by nature eager to strive to meet challenges and not easily suckered by empty promises of ethernal reward for no real cost.
Huh. It's an interesting topic, and something I've thought of before. I'm an adrenaline junkie, myself, and so are a lot of non-believers I know. It would definitely be an interesting correlation.
(December 2, 2013 at 4:13 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Huh. It's an interesting topic, and something I've thought of before. I'm an adrenaline junkie, myself, and so are a lot of non-believers I know. It would definitely be an interesting correlation.

Yeah, I tend to think that it's a genetic link. I'm not sure that a decent study has ever been done on the subject.
How overwhelming exactly?
I think we need to consider the philosophical, not just the genetic.

As I believe this is the only life I have, I want to experience as much as I can.

I have no problem undertaking high adrenaline activities, but I usually only do them once, to see what they are like. Things like sky diving, jumping off the top of the diving tower, abseiling forwards, canyoning, etc.

However, I also like to experience many non-adrenaline activities, too. I will eat unusual foods when given the option: escargo, frogs legs, brains, etc.

I will also perform most dares that I am given, unless they are dangerous.

Most of the time, though, my life is very calm. Staying at home with my family and watching TV.
Maybe it's because atheists know that this is the only life we ever get, so better to enjoy it. I'm not much of a risk taker myself, and I hate heights, but I understand why they want to experience adventure.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
That dude is amazing. Alex that is, not Jesus.

I went in for some adrenaline rush when I was in my twenties. A bit of climbing - if I can even call it that given what Alex does, motorcycles, skateboarding and spelunking. I never thought of it as risk taking though it was of course. Each of those activities has a particular feel within which you can feel a kind of attunement. It's like discovering passages within yourself you didn't know were there. Trusting what you discover you are expands you.

One thing I discovered about myself is that I won't flinch when risk is high. I just focus ever more intently. Perhaps atheists have the edge here because we sure don't expect anyone or anything to intercede on our behalf. You gotta take care of business or go outta business entirely.
(December 3, 2013 at 3:12 am)Vincenzo "Vinny" G. Wrote: How overwhelming exactly?

I'd say about half the people I know in the climbing community are atheists and almost none of them are religious. Those are my personal estimates but compared to the regular population it is way skewed differently.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27162 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12494 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12161 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12020 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  I just became a more extreme atheist. Aegrus 36 6978 September 12, 2011 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Castle
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38103 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack