Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Matter Create Consciousness? Or Vice Versa?
Does Matter Create Consciousness? Or Vice Versa?
I believe matter creates consciousness but there are the mysticism-types who believe everything is energy and the brain is actually just translating all of that into the objects of our conscious mind, to which some extent is evidently true (those who have taken mushrooms or LSD or gotten very drunk/high can attest). I believe it goes back to the Neils Bohr model for quantum physics. Anyway, does our conscious mind create matter through different energy patterns entering our neural preceptors? Or is the model of reality you conceive actually the by-product of external matter around you? I think this is kind of a philosophy of science question. Thoughts?
RE: Does Matter Create Consciousness? Or Vice Versa?
(December 12, 2013 at 8:52 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:

Nope, it's an empirical question. And you're thinking of the 'Copenhagen Misinterpretations', commonly used by those who want to peddle particular brands of mystical nonsense. 'Consciousness' or 'force of will', if you prefer, has no control over the outcomes of quantum events. It's not even necessary for a 'consciousness' to be an observer: experimentally, we've demonstrated that other quantum events can cause reconciliation of quantum states (e.g entanglement).
Sum ergo sum
I've seen plenty of evidence which suggests that matter creates consciousness and no evidence to the contrary so far.
In every example we have of consciousness, it is dependent on the existence of a material brain. So, to my best of my, or anyone else's, knowledge at the present time, yes, matter creates consciousness. The only caveat that I can think of to this statement is the possibility that brains and consciousness evolved in a symbiotic relationship so that it's virtually impossible to delineate the emergence of one from the other, but even that fails, I think, in light of the fact that it's very clear that matter existed before consciousness (life) existed, so I still say yes, matter gives rise to consciousness.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
Consciousness has never been shown to be anything but the brain doing its thing.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Since matter predates consciousness, I'm going with the former.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(December 12, 2013 at 8:52 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I believe matter creates consciousness but there are the mysticism-types who believe everything is energy and the brain is actually just translating all of that into the objects of our conscious mind, to which some extent is evidently true (those who have taken mushrooms or LSD or gotten very drunk/high can attest). I believe it goes back to the Neils Bohr model for quantum physics. Anyway, does our conscious mind create matter through different energy patterns entering our neural preceptors? Or is the model of reality you conceive actually the by-product of external matter around you? I think this is kind of a philosophy of science question. Thoughts?

All that I know is that LSD alters your perception, it never helps anyone see things more clearly. It's not like you suddenly can see new things that you weren't able to, you're imagining things that don't exist.
[Image: Untitled_1.jpg]
Consciousness IS matter. Matter doesn't have to do anything... it is, and that's how it is.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
This all depends on your interpretation of quantum mechanics. I've seen it claimed (and seemingly adequately backed up) that quantum mechanics presupposes a conscious observer outside of the applicability of its laws.
"The reason things will never get better is because people keep electing these rich cocksuckers who don't give a shit about you."
-George Carlin
(December 21, 2013 at 2:29 am)MindForgedManacle Wrote: This all depends on your interpretation of quantum mechanics. I've seen it claimed (and seemingly adequately backed up) that quantum mechanics presupposes a conscious observer outside of the applicability of its laws.

That's one of many interpretations, and the least supported by evidence or reason.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Consciousness causes higher entropy compared to unconscious states in the human brain uncool 40 6108 February 1, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts on a multiverse/consciousness Gessle 32 6528 February 14, 2015 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  What formula can you use to create Black Powder Kipon 22 2994 May 10, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Please Help Me Understand Consciousness Mudhammam 17 3021 March 25, 2014 at 2:08 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  It doesn’t matter what neuroscience has to say Mudhammam 11 3595 February 9, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  How to measure consciousness? The_Flying_Skeptic 3 2225 November 27, 2011 at 7:06 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Origins of consciousness Mal Kiever 15 3437 November 12, 2011 at 9:27 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko