Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on a multiverse/consciousness
Thoughts on a multiverse/consciousness
If the multiverse does exist is it possible we may live an infinite amount of lives. Say you/your consciousness dies in this universe is it possible for it to spring up in another life supporting universe. Not sure if this was a quote I read somewhere but I've always thought is sounded cool. "Maybe we're destined to do this dance forever." I would love to hear some of your guys' thoughts on consciousness or the multiverse if it even exists.

[Image: Bubble_Universe.jpg]
RE: Thoughts on a multiverse/consciousness
I'm unclear about the words you use. What would it mean, for *your consciousness* to pop up in another universe (or in this one for that matter), as opposed to a new or different consciousness?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The idea that there are multiple universes or even an infinity of them has been gaining a lot of traction. It may be that there are multiple universes in which 'you' exist but they would be separate and distinct copies of you. I don't see how that translates into us living an infinite amount of lives.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Sounds like a nightmare, but since I could never be aware of any of my other selves, each would feel like its own unique experience. And that's only just accepting the fact that whatever forms in another universe could even remotely be considered me.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(February 13, 2015 at 10:59 am)Faith No More Wrote: Sounds like a nightmare, but since I could never be aware of any of my other selves, each would feel like its own unique experience. And that's only just accepting the fact that whatever forms in another universe could even remotely be considered me.

Hence I ask, what does it even mean that it is the same self (as opposed to an identical copy) if there's no memory.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 13, 2015 at 9:20 am)Gessle Wrote: If the multiverse does exist is it possible we may live an infinite amount of lives. Say you/your consciousness dies in this universe is it possible for it to spring up in another life supporting universe. Not sure if this was a quote I read somewhere but I've always thought is sounded cool. "Maybe we're destined to do this dance forever." I would love to hear some of your guys' thoughts on consciousness or the multiverse if it even exists.

[Image: Bubble_Universe.jpg]

Love the graphic. But I see no reason to think I should have a doppelgänger in any of them.
Sorry if I was implying that consciousness is unique to "you". I guess I was just exploring the idea of possibly living an infinite amount of times in an infinite amount of universes. The more I try to think about this and specify what I mean my head starts to hurt.
(February 13, 2015 at 11:35 am)Gessle Wrote: Sorry if I was implying that consciousness is unique to "you". I guess I was just exploring the idea of possibly living an infinite amount of times in an infinite amount of universes. The more I try to think about this and specify what I mean my head starts to hurt.

Have you tried God? I hear it cuts down on annoying thinking.
(February 13, 2015 at 11:33 am)whateverist Wrote: Love the graphic. But I see no reason to think I should have a doppelgänger in any of them.

If it is truly infinite, though, you would.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I've certainly heard that before but I've never found it very likely. The counting numbers are also infinite but, go as far as you like, you'll never find the number 3 again no matter how far past 4 you go.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on the state of science nowadays? Macoleco 19 2834 April 1, 2023 at 5:54 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Consciousness causes higher entropy compared to unconscious states in the human brain uncool 40 5976 February 1, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts on competition drfuzzy 8 1454 January 10, 2016 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  My thoughts on Thorium dyresand 2 735 December 23, 2015 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Empirical Evidence for Multiverse Neo-Scholastic 88 13157 December 10, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Please Help Me Understand Consciousness Mudhammam 17 2951 March 25, 2014 at 2:08 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Do the multiverse theories prove the existence of... Mudhammam 3 2145 January 12, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Does Matter Create Consciousness? Or Vice Versa? Mudhammam 24 6521 January 2, 2014 at 11:39 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
Question Effects Of Thoughts And Words On Water Atharonis 14 4379 February 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How to measure consciousness? The_Flying_Skeptic 3 2216 November 27, 2011 at 7:06 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger