Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A change in evolution theory we come from sponges?
A change in evolution theory we come from sponges?
Quote:In a prehistoric version of "the chicken or the egg" question, researchers have long debated which animal group came first. A traditional view pegs sponges—marine creatures that look more like rocks or corals—as our ancient ancestors.

But a new genetic study is stirring the waters, suggesting comb jellies, gelatinous marine animals that look similar to jellyfish, are actually the first animals to have evolved over 600 million years ago.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2013/...n-science/
Now this is not been thought peer review so we will have to wait for conformation.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: A change in evolution theory we come from sponges?
If we came from sponges, how come there are still sponges? Huh?
(December 13, 2013 at 5:36 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote: If we came from sponges, how come there are still sponges? Huh?

And why can't we speak sponge? But then again, Sleepy . . .

This is why I love science. Always something new.
Dying to live, living to die.
I want so see what happens in peer review
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6x1Rbc3MMAs1_fvPwuoJ...vyBgTBPAKA]

Cool! Let's see how this one turns out Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(December 13, 2013 at 5:34 pm)Gooders1002 Wrote:
Quote:In a prehistoric version of "the chicken or the egg" question, researchers have long debated which animal group came first. A traditional view pegs sponges—marine creatures that look more like rocks or corals—as our ancient ancestors.

But a new genetic study is stirring the waters, suggesting comb jellies, gelatinous marine animals that look similar to jellyfish, are actually the first animals to have evolved over 600 million years ago.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2013/...n-science/
Now this is not been thought peer review so we will have to wait for conformation.

I find it more amazing that animals such as comb jellies have changed quite little in 600 million years.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 4967 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Panspermia theory? mediocrates 28 4975 May 24, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Las Plagas here we come! frankiej 2 540 February 18, 2017 at 11:59 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Test My Theory: Macro evolution DOES happen? Gawdzilla Sama 44 12856 December 20, 2016 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Giulio Tononi's Theory of Consciousness Jehanne 11 3323 September 18, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The simple body test that proves the theory of evolution TubbyTubby 17 2762 March 22, 2016 at 5:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  "How to Change Someone's Mind" Wash. Post. article drfuzzy 0 833 February 25, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Sex Change Fake Messiah 6 1887 December 12, 2015 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Scientific Debate: Why I assert that Darwin's theory of evolution is false Rob216 206 36228 November 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Nature: Does evolutionary theory need a rethink? Dolorian 10 4059 October 12, 2014 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Chas