Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test My Theory: Macro evolution DOES happen?
Test My Theory: Macro evolution DOES happen?
We often see claims that "macro" evolution, the sudden, unprecedented change in life form simply doesn't happen. 

However, can we use that to explain two head calves? (Bear with me if that's not an actual mutations, it's an example for for now.) That's not a beneficial mutation but it is a large change. Is it possible that the genetic code doesn't allow for macro because the disadvantages to a living thing  outweigh the advantages? Some "slip through" and in the provisional calf model, but they're not successful, because of the lack of mates closes enough the macro to allow successful passing along to genes? 

Or maybe I still stoned a bit from the hospital meds. It's been a longggg week.
RE: Test My Theory: Macro evolution DOES happen?
The whole "macro" and "micro" evolution distinction was never brought up by scientists in the first place. Creationists came up with that to try to stick a wrench in the gears of science. Evolution is just evolution.
I think it's a tough definition to pin down. What is macroevolution? Is it a crocoduck? Is it the appearance of a new species?

The theory of evolution does not allow for sudden, unprecedented changes in a life form. If we were to observe that happening (ie, crocoduck) then the theory would have sprung a very serious leak. As for two-headed animals, that's a mutation that seems to pop up now and then but doesn't seem to confer many benefits.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(December 18, 2016 at 10:27 pm)Tonus Wrote: I think it's a tough definition to pin down.  What is macroevolution?  Is it a crocoduck?  Is it the appearance of a new species?

The theory of evolution does not allow for sudden, unprecedented changes in a life form.  If we were to observe that happening (ie, crocoduck) then the theory would have sprung a very serious leak.  As for two-headed animals, that's a mutation that seems to pop up now and then but doesn't seem to confer many benefits.

indeed

if it's a cocoduck then there demanding a miracle not evolution

if it's just a new species then it's been witnessed a hundred times

if there demanding to see a non avian dinosaur become an avian then ask them if they have a few million years if they complain that it can't be observed then remind them were talking about populations and genetics which don't work at our fuss
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(December 18, 2016 at 10:16 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: We often see claims that "macro" evolution, the sudden, unprecedented change in life form simply doesn't happen. 

However, can we use that to explain two head calves? (Bear with me if that's not an actual mutations, it's an example for for now.) That's not a beneficial mutation but it is a large change. Is it possible that the genetic code doesn't allow for macro because the disadvantages to a living thing  outweigh the advantages? Some "slip through" and in the provisional calf model, but they're not successful, because of the lack of mates closes enough the macro to allow successful passing along to genes? 

Or maybe I still stoned a bit from the hospital meds. It's been a longggg week.

Not a biologist but I'm sure I remember Richard Dawkins explaining it like micro evolution is macro evolution the only difference being the time periods involved.

I wish I was as stoned as you though to be thinking about two headed calves haha.

Good luck with whatever you're taking the meds for though.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Fentanyl and hydrocodone, post-op complications from a cholecystectomy.

And for the micro v. macro. issues, I'm aware of them. The OP was focused to one part of that creationist chicken coup.

I think.
(December 18, 2016 at 10:21 pm)Jesster Wrote: The whole "macro" and "micro" evolution distinction was never brought up by scientists in the first place. Creationists came up with that to try to stick a wrench in the gears of science. Evolution is just evolution.

I think you may wan to check on the accuracy of this statement!
(December 19, 2016 at 12:07 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(December 18, 2016 at 10:21 pm)Jesster Wrote: The whole "macro" and "micro" evolution distinction was never brought up by scientists in the first place. Creationists came up with that to try to stick a wrench in the gears of science. Evolution is just evolution.

I think you may wan to check on the accuracy of this statement!

I think you may want to pull your head out of your ass.
Ok... jester doesn't care, but others may want to check the accuracy of that statement!
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(December 19, 2016 at 12:46 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Ok... jester doesn't care, but others may want to check the accuracy of that statement!

I have. You're wrong.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 4916 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Panspermia theory? mediocrates 28 4931 May 24, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Giulio Tononi's Theory of Consciousness Jehanne 11 3253 September 18, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The simple body test that proves the theory of evolution TubbyTubby 17 2670 March 22, 2016 at 5:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What would happen/Is it possible Heat 17 2763 October 20, 2015 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Scientific Debate: Why I assert that Darwin's theory of evolution is false Rob216 206 34332 November 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Nature: Does evolutionary theory need a rethink? Dolorian 10 4033 October 12, 2014 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Chas
  Selfish Gene Theory Mudhammam 18 6608 February 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  A change in evolution theory we come from sponges? Gooders1002 5 2102 December 13, 2013 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  Next-Gen Test Tube Baby Born pineapplebunnybounce 4 2372 July 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce