Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giulio Tononi's Theory of Consciousness
Giulio Tononi's Theory of Consciousness
Everyone,

What do you think of Giulio Tononi's theories of consciousness:

http://centerforsleepandconsciousness.me...ononi.html

I posted the above link to Sean Carroll's blog (his post on consciousness) but he deleted it a short time later.

I think that Tononi's ideas on consciousness make sense.  Of course, no theory may explain consciousness in its entirety but Tononi goes the farthest in my opinion.
RE: Giulio Tononi's Theory of Consciousness
Which Sean Carroll was that?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 16, 2016 at 8:26 pm)Alex K Wrote: Which Sean Carroll was that?

The physicist:

http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/
For those interested, Wikipedia has a great article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated...ion_theory

I am NO expert, of course!  But, Giulio's ideas make the most sense to me, and I have listened to a number of scientists talk about consciousness, but, of course, everyone has their own opinion and/or favorite.
It's beyond my meager understanding.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 16, 2016 at 9:42 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: It's beyond my meager understanding.

Hey, join the club; here's some interviews with Tononi about his ideas:

https://www.closertotruth.com/contributo...ni/profile
It seems to me that he's talking "around" the subject without actually penetrating it. He uses a lot of phenomenological analysis but he never really explains why we have the phenomenology.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 17, 2016 at 3:16 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: It seems to me that he's talking "around" the subject without actually penetrating it.  He uses a lot of phenomenological analysis but he never really explains why we have the phenomenology.

That's known as the "hard problem".  I like to think of it as self-replicating molecules.  What is the chemical process behind that?  No scientist knows for sure.  Likewise, for consciousness.  What's the arrangement of molecules that would result in that?  No one really knows.  However, with time, some brilliant scientist may find such an arrangement (in silicon perhaps), and as with self-replicating molecules, that system of molecules would possess consciousness.
Giulio Tononi sounds like the name of a mobster
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(September 17, 2016 at 9:27 pm)Losty Wrote: Giulio Tononi sounds like the name of a mobster

He's from Italy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the consciousness of a new born baby Macoleco 8 769 April 7, 2022 at 7:22 am
Last Post: brewer
  Theory of Evolution, Atheism, and Homophobia. RayOfLight 31 4916 October 25, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: Brian37
  LOOK!>> -Consciousness After Death -official <<Clickbait! ignoramus 10 1841 October 19, 2017 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Quantum consciousness... ignoramus 109 15375 August 30, 2017 at 5:32 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Panspermia theory? mediocrates 28 4931 May 24, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Test My Theory: Macro evolution DOES happen? Gawdzilla Sama 44 12672 December 20, 2016 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  The simple body test that proves the theory of evolution TubbyTubby 17 2670 March 22, 2016 at 5:50 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Intelligence, Consciousness and Soul, oh my; Sy Montgomery's "The Soul of an Octopus" Whateverist 11 2122 February 2, 2016 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Sam Harris On Defining Consciousness Rhondazvous 143 18085 August 28, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Scientific Debate: Why I assert that Darwin's theory of evolution is false Rob216 206 34360 November 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb