Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Progress
Progress
Slow, steady, progress.

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-harri...ca-2013-12

Quote:A new Harris Poll released today reveals that only 74% of Americans believe in God, an 8% decline since 2009.

At least we are down to just 1/4 of the country believing in fucking witches.
RE: Progress
By the time I'm, oh...175?, I will see an America with common sense informing it.

Yippee fucking skippy.
That's good news, maybe things will speed up so in another 15 to 20 years like 90% of the world population will not believe.

manowar
Don't put down the speed. In terms of demographics, this is a remarkable shift in such a short period of time.
(December 20, 2013 at 12:00 am)Minimalist Wrote: At least we are down to just 1/4 of the country believing in fucking witches.

No doubt an all time low.

I see witch belief dropped 5% and evolution belief rose 5%. All those ex-witch believers are now studying biology and genetics!
It's not the percentage of believers in god that disturbs me. It's the percentage of young earth creationists that drives me crazy.

I'd like to see the statistics on that.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
World is gonna be in deep shit for a long time before people get smart.
I'd wager that we have at least 200 years before christianity is the religious minority in the US, and about 500 years before Islam even starts to decline over there in the armpit of the world.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(December 20, 2013 at 2:08 pm)Cinjin Wrote: I'd wager that we have at least 200 years before christianity is the religious minority in the US, and about 500 years before Islam even starts to decline over there in the armpit of the world.

One encouraging stat in that poll was the youngest group (18-36) had the lowest level of god-belief - 64%. Another ten years and maybe it drops another 10 points; getting close to the magical 50% mark.

Keeping religious BS out and teaching science in schools is the ticket. That and ridicule in popular culture.

I imagine South Park has done more damage to religious belief than thousands of intellectual atheists arguing on the net about ontological this and teleological that. They make it seem, so.... silly. Satire slaughters those sacred cows.
(December 20, 2013 at 2:23 pm)JesusHChrist Wrote:
(December 20, 2013 at 2:08 pm)Cinjin Wrote: I'd wager that we have at least 200 years before christianity is the religious minority in the US, and about 500 years before Islam even starts to decline over there in the armpit of the world.

One encouraging stat in that poll was the youngest group (18-36) had the lowest level of god-belief - 64%. Another ten years and maybe it drops another 10 points; getting close to the magical 50% mark.

Keeping religious BS out and teaching science in schools is the ticket. That and ridicule in popular culture.

I imagine South Park has done more damage to religious belief than thousands of intellectual atheists arguing on the net about ontological this and teleological that. They make it seem, so.... silly. Satire slaughters those sacred cows.

Yeah but I don't watch south park cause it shows a lot of disgusting shit to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An infinite progress FortyTwo 185 14418 September 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  3 Questions For Believers (A work in progress.) topher 187 29910 April 20, 2015 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Formulating a rational defense of skepticism (a work in progress) Vincenzo Vinny G. 49 14530 September 4, 2012 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: JohnDG