Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan Barker (atheist) vs Hamza Tzortzis (muslim)
Dan Barker (atheist) vs Hamza Tzortzis (muslim)
This may seem like a theist style post (paste in a video and run) but I think this debate is well worth a watch. Many of you will probably have seen it already. Dan Barker is awesome, and imho thrashes Hamza (who uses the same intro to every debate even though people like Barker and Krauss have torn it to shreds already) right here. I thought it relevant because many of the arguments that Barker addresses here are the ones put forward by our recent potty visitors (Infinite justice, Kalam's causal argument etc).

(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: Most Gays have a typical behavior of rejecting religions, because religions consider them as sinners (In Islam they deserve to be killed)
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: I think you are too idiot to know the meaning of idiot for example you have a law to prevent boys under 16 from driving do you think that all boys under 16 are careless and cannot drive properly
RE: Dan Barker (atheist) vs Hamza Tzortzis (muslim)

I saw Barker debate Tzortzis last winter, to a crowd surprisingly packed with a lot of Muslims. Tzortzis was surprisingly effective, no doubt because of his relaxed, cheerful style. Barker, imo, uses too much aggression in his openings, and alienates more than persuades as a result. I talked with Barker a bit at a book signing. He's a real nice guy, in spite of his "bulldog" style of presentation.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
From reading his book and watching his debates online I honestly came to the conclusion that he was anything BUT confrontational. I think it's exactly his ability to calmly lay out his reasoning that makes him so effective. I cringe at some of the Tzortzis techniques which are basically arguments from authority paraded as this weird jockular cloud of awkwardness. Most of his retorts in this video revolve around distraction (accusing Barker of being super angry whilst he's really just a quiet little bald man) and pally pleading; 'come on mate be reasonable lets just be cool LOL'. It's like he's conducting his debate through the medium of Bebo or something. The basis of Tzortzis' lecture was, and I basically quote him exactly: 'I know that what Mohammed said was true because he said it'. Somehow, the fact that lots of generations repeated the same story means that Mohammed must have been telling the truth when he received his words of wisdom.............I basically felt genuinely embarrassed at that specific point, as I did at most points in which Hamza resorts to pally jockular retorts, carefully ducking all the hard rebutals necessary to counter Barker's statements, which were effectively sound. The Hamza routine basically consists of 'blah blah you can't have infinite' (I bloody love Krauss demonstrating the concept of Pi to him), a ton of special pleading, a load of really really pathetic claims regarding Arabic being more majestic than any other language, then loads of appeals to 'be reasonable mate'. Krauss was far more aggressive in his dealings imho, but Hamza only really serves to reinforce the opinions of impressionable and unenquiring muslims who aren't really interested in hearing the other side of the argument. Brown's comments regarding the nature of hearsay in the qur'an are sound, and Hamza could have handled it way better than he did, essentially reinforcing what Barker was claiming all along; that muslims know mohammed was telling the truth because he said it. There's a hint of irony in the infinity of this circular reasoning, we could literally go round and round with that one ad infinitum.
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: Most Gays have a typical behavior of rejecting religions, because religions consider them as sinners (In Islam they deserve to be killed)
(June 19, 2013 at 3:23 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: I think you are too idiot to know the meaning of idiot for example you have a law to prevent boys under 16 from driving do you think that all boys under 16 are careless and cannot drive properly
Quote: impressionable and unenquiring muslims

Is there another kind?
At 31:00 Dan Barker stated that he's heard some Muslims says Allah is 'infinitely just' and 'infinitely merciful' and those two contradict each other which they certainly do as if a being is infinitely merciful he will not be able to be infinitely just.

That tells you that Dan Barker knows very little about Islam nor do some of the naive posters on here. Nowhere in Islam is Allah considered 'infinitely just' or 'infinitely merciful.' He is Most Just and Most Merciful. That means more merciful and more just than anybody.

Clever attempt to to substitute the word 'infinitely' for 'most.'

One of the 99 names of Allah is Ar Rahman ( THE MOST MERCIFUL )

I stopped watching there because of that fatal mistake he made that even an atheist with basic thinking skills will tell you.
This is nothing but circular login.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(December 26, 2013 at 12:52 am)TheOneAndOnly Wrote: At 31:00 Dan Barker stated that he's heard some Muslims says Allah is 'infinitely just' and 'infinitely merciful' and those two contradict each other which they certainly do as if a being is infinitely merciful he will not be able to be infinitely just.

That tells you that Dan Barker knows very little about Islam nor do some of the naive posters on here. Nowhere in Islam is Allah considered 'infinitely just' or 'infinitely merciful.' He is Most Just and Most Merciful. That means more merciful and more just than anybody.

Clever attempt to to substitute the word 'infinitely' for 'most.'

One of the 99 names of Allah is Ar Rahman ( THE MOST MERCIFUL )

I stopped watching there because of that fatal mistake he made that even an atheist with basic thinking skills will tell you.

And your point?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
His point seems to be "strawman".
Which seems fair... on that detail...
(December 23, 2013 at 5:56 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: impressionable and unenquiring muslims

Is there another kind?

Actually, i have a musician friend from Morocco who claims to be a Moslem, but he doesn't pray 3 times a day and doesn't even own a prayer rug. I think that, where it's allowed at least, there are plenty of nominal or cultural Moslems.
You can't go forcing something if it's just not right. Green Day Argue
(December 26, 2013 at 12:52 am)TheOneAndOnly Wrote: At 31:00 Dan Barker stated that he's heard some Muslims says Allah is 'infinitely just' and 'infinitely merciful' and those two contradict each other which they certainly do as if a being is infinitely merciful he will not be able to be infinitely just.

No it tells you that his version of the qur'an translates it this way in to English, it also tells you that some muslims interpret it this way, and repeat it this way to non-muslims. I have certainly heard muslims describe Allah as infinitely merciful and infinitely just, heck we even have a recent thread or two in this sub-forum in which our resident muslim quacks have tried to defend the concept of being infintely just and infintely merciful. Even if Allah was 'most' merciful and 'most' just then his judge and jury skills are vague and wildly variable; I don't want my judge dishing out punishments depending on how merciful or how just he's feeling on the day. Mercy is the suspension of justice, to be merciful means that justice hasn't been fully done.

Quote:I stopped watching there because of that fatal mistake he made that even an atheist with basic thinking skills will tell you.

Let's not talk about basic thinking skills shall we. Such basic thinking skills would suggest that the obvious disparity between the way in which differnt muslims interpret the qur'an shows that it clearly isn't divine in origin. No supernatural being would make his orders for humanity that vague and open to dispute, surely? Many muslims can't agree on the basics, let alone the finer details.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Warning:You are in danger. Non-Muslim in danger! AVMXF 67 5272 July 23, 2023 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  LGBTQ Rights in Countries with a Muslim Magority Leonardo17 16 2295 January 14, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  WHo is "The Pharaoh" in the Muslim Holy Book Leonardo17 14 1252 December 1, 2022 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  3 simple points to end the discussion with any muslim SaStrike 10 1343 September 20, 2022 at 12:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The only woman to win the Fields Medal was a Muslim Alexmahone 25 4743 August 28, 2022 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  There is no contradiction in the Qur'an! my answer as a muslim real muslim 37 3917 July 29, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Fall of Muslim science Fake Messiah 1 782 January 13, 2019 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Muslim men to not shake hands with females Rika82 9 1933 September 13, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If a muslim grows old, do they have to dye their hair? Ruckus123 5 933 April 16, 2018 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: yragnitup
  So if Muhammad had long hair why so many muslim male having short hair? Ruckus123 3 1193 April 12, 2018 at 7:07 am
Last Post: chimp3