Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transhumanism
transhumanism
I'm a transhumanist. I have already arranged my suspension yet I am often under attack from religious people and even some atheists for doing so.

What is it about Transhumanism that makes so many people hostile
RE: transhumanism
I think there's a certain need to lash out at your need to be either more or less than human, somehow I don't think I'll know the result of transhumanism until you're finished. it's almost like you've given up on the human experience with the idea of transhumanism. There are things about being human like pain and death and love and sex that transhumanist want to throw out the window. I mean what about individuality? Part of the beauty of being human is that we can die.
(January 7, 2014 at 3:05 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: I think there's a certain need to lash out at your need to be either more or less than human, somehow I don't think I'll know the result of transhumanism until you're finished

why do you need to lash out?

Quote: it's almost like you've given up on the human experience with the idea of transhumanism.

Quiet the opposite. I like being human. I think life is pathetically short. Just as we start to sort our lives out we start falling apart
Quote:There are things about being human like pain and death and love and sex that transhumanist want to throw out the window

Throw out pain and death...yes. throw out love and sex-where did you get that from? I am in favour of lots of both

Quote:. I mean what about individuality?

What about it? Individual transhumans are as individual as anyone else

Quote: Part of the beauty of being human is that we can die.
if that floats your boat then I am not stopping you but you seem to be insisting that I must die for your sense of aesthetics. I find nothing beautiful about death.
(January 7, 2014 at 2:55 am)là bạn điên Wrote: I'm a transhumanist. I have already arranged my suspension yet I am often under attack from religious people and even some atheists for doing so.

I'm guessing that you're talking about cryogenic suspension?

If so, total waste of time.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom...SNAKE! Badger

It would seem that you are striving to be "something special" là bạn điên, you will be very disappointed.

But hey, delusions are a dime a dozen, what ever floats your boat. Dunno
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I dunno, I'm kinda into transhumanism, so long as I'm allowed to approach it on my own terms. Give me a cyborg arm, and mechanical eyes, I'm down. Hell, transform me into a cloud of nanomachines that can shift between larger physical forms, and I'll leap at the chance. Do I think it's likely to happen in my lifetime? No.

I dunno, I feel kind of strange that people treat this idea as if it's some new, separate thing; people have been using technology to change the way they live for as long as there have been people, but suddenly now we're thinking of applying it to ourselves (beyond, say, pacemakers and organ transplants and all the ways we already do that Rolleyes ) it's some weird, inhuman notion?

Naw.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
No lashing out here but no interest either. Have fun.
(January 7, 2014 at 8:20 am)Esquilax Wrote: (beyond, say, pacemakers and organ transplants and all the ways we already do that Rolleyes ) it's some weird, inhuman notion?

Isn't this already transhumanism? Not too long until we start giving amputees robotic arms and legs, hell we already do for some people. Then I imagine we'll be able to give people eyes who are blind, voice boxes if they're mute, new ears if they're deaf maybe. Technology in some form or another is already helping people like this (hearing aids, laser eye surgery, those voice things that make you sound like a robot).

What's the difference between what we're doing now and what we perceive us doing in the future? I really don't buy into this thought that enhancing and even repairing the human experience with technology will remove things like love, sex and individuality. I think it could be quite the opposite.

Then again I don't have a definitive definition of transhumanism, just going from what I've previously understood of the term.
(January 7, 2014 at 11:45 am)Napoléon Wrote: What's the difference between what we're doing now and what we perceive us doing in the future?

That's my point exactly: aside from the fact that the future is scary to some people, and the usefulness of the devices, what's the difference between these two concepts? Yeah, it might all seem like science fiction nonsense and dystopian fiction now, but so did a lot of things, before we went ahead and made them anyway, and they became a part of the fabric of our lives.

It's just the cycle of technology, for some people: first they fear it, then they normalize it, then they cry foul when it's gone. And yet nobody ever learns that lesson when the next cool gadget comes along. Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(January 7, 2014 at 7:53 am)Zen Badger Wrote:
(January 7, 2014 at 2:55 am)là bạn điên Wrote: I'm a transhumanist. I have already arranged my suspension yet I am often under attack from religious people and even some atheists for doing so.

I'm guessing that you're talking about cryogenic suspension?

If so, total waste of time.

I don't accept you as an authority and I am not advising you to do it. I'm doing it myself because I think it gives a reasonable chance. You may not think so and I don't care. it doesn;t affect you one way or the other.

(January 7, 2014 at 8:03 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: mushroom mushroom mushroom mushroom...SNAKE! Badger

It would seem that you are striving to be "something special" là bạn điên, you will be very disappointed.

But hey, delusions are a dime a dozen, what ever floats your boat. Dunno

So no evidence just a rant at someone who dares to think differently

(January 7, 2014 at 11:18 am)whateverist Wrote: No lashing out here but no interest either. Have fun.

An entirely reasonable response

(January 7, 2014 at 11:45 am)Napoléon Wrote: Isn't this already transhumanism? Not too long until we start giving amputees robotic arms and legs, hell we already do for some people. Then I imagine we'll be able to give people eyes who are blind, voice boxes if they're mute, new ears if they're deaf maybe. Technology in some form or another is already helping people like this (hearing aids, laser eye surgery, those voice things that make you sound like a robot).

Yup
Quote:What's the difference between what we're doing now and what we perceive us doing in the future? I really don't buy into this thought that enhancing and even repairing the human experience with technology will remove things like love, sex and individuality. I think it could be quite the opposite.

Entirely agree

Quote:Then again I don't have a definitive definition of transhumanism, just going from what I've previously understood of the term.

That is certainly a major part of it.

(January 7, 2014 at 11:49 am)Esquilax Wrote: That's my point exactly: aside from the fact that the future is scary to some people, and the usefulness of the devices, what's the difference between these two concepts? Yeah, it might all seem like science fiction nonsense and dystopian fiction now, but so did a lot of things, before we went ahead and made them anyway, and they became a part of the fabric of our lives.

It's just the cycle of technology, for some people: first they fear it, then they normalize it, then they cry foul when it's gone. And yet nobody ever learns that lesson when the next cool gadget comes along. Thinking

Absolutely right. People were still claiming in the fifties that man will never get to the moon, physicists in the 1890s claimed that there is nothing more in physics to be discovered.

I am just interested in why some people are so damned hostile. I am harming no one.