Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The opinions of others
The opinions of others
You often hear from society "don't worry just be yourself" I say that this statement is dishonest. I think there something about the human condition that makes us worry about the opinions of others be they negative or positive. Just think those who truly don't worry about the opinions of others are usually subject to massive ridicule and encouraged to conform.
RE: The opinions of others
No matter what you do or don't do someone somewhere will judge you as being in adequate. Society will damn you for being alive and there is no appeasing it.

Hence....FUCK 'EM ...just be who you are and if society can't handle that....tough titties.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I think it's good to try to fit in somewhere. But it needs to be in a way that brings out who you are as a person.

Societal standards are a good thing. But so is having fun in life.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(January 7, 2014 at 9:23 am)c172 Wrote: I think it's good to try to fit in somewhere. But it needs to be in a way that brings out who you are as a person.

No, they crush individuality. A society should have only basic & minimalist standards, like no killing or stealing. Anything beyond the basic morality that holds society together works against individuality & should be abolished.
(January 7, 2014 at 11:16 am)MarxRaptor Wrote:
(January 7, 2014 at 9:23 am)c172 Wrote: I think it's good to try to fit in somewhere. But it needs to be in a way that brings out who you are as a person.

No, they crush individuality. A society should have only basic & minimalist standards, like no killing or stealing.

Basic and minimalist standards are still standards. So we are in agreement there. I never said we need complete conformity. That would take away the individuality that makes society thrive.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Thorny topic. No man is an island, true. We are a highly social lot and going against the herd can cause some psychic discomfort. Of course, if you can pull a small group off with you that can help relieve the stress. Personally I have a great need for solitude and, no coincidence, so does my wife.

On the other side, if one always flocks with the main herd one can lose their sense of being an individual. I like to think I have a center, that there is someone that I am independent of what the herd may do. In fact, I know that is true. You can't please all the people all the time. But in the end you can be happy if you win the respect of those you respect.

We certainly are a complicated animal. Must be why I like people so much. (I'd like them more if there weren't so damn many of us.)
(January 7, 2014 at 2:56 am)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: You often hear from society "don't worry just be yourself" I say that this statement is dishonest. I think there something about the human condition that makes us worry about the opinions of others be they negative or positive. Just think those who truly don't worry about the opinions of others are usually subject to massive ridicule and encouraged to conform.

what i see in this world, especially when it comes to morals, is opinion.
we are soooo moved by opinion for the most part that we even disagree with each other, that pretty much supports my argument. So wondering what others think about you is actually just how we are grown to act and feel. if we were to grow up naked, we would still be naked and for the guy part, a bunch of pervs. Wink Shades

so i would say on my behalf, that yes dress the way you want and yes others will see you a different way, but you should also abide by the standards of places like church or public places, simply because its the world we live in and today's society. so i would say, be what you want at home and obey standards in restricted areas.
Well informed opinions fade fast into fact. When opinions are more reflections of fact, then they are less opinion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a right way to romantically connect with others? Kernel Sohcahtoa 32 4345 September 14, 2016 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Opinions on the controversial Stefan Molyneux? Endo 8 1867 July 25, 2014 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Agnostic Atheism? Your opinions thread's landfill dtango 115 33594 February 27, 2013 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Agnostic Atheism? Your opinions.. Skeptical_Nurse 166 61455 December 18, 2011 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Question Your Opinions! ib.me.ub 23 7732 June 12, 2010 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Purple Rabbit