Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are mormons hard working people
Are mormons hard working people
Because i get the sense that it is the core essence of mormonism, to work hard and reach for a goal.

I like the idea of that, so i ordered "The book of mormons" and they where kind to send it to me in Norwegian. Asked atleast one of the people there, it takes two weeks but i won't come back home before winter vacation either way Smile

Also, have you seen the movie, let me know Smile
<video removed>
RE: Are mormons hard working people
This film is much more accurate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jF1EG8o-Q

Some Mormons are industrious, others are not. This is likely in percentages that match the rest of the population. I do not count the various church related tasks they are compelled to do with the use of ward peer pressure to keep good standing. These endeavors are rarely industrious and serve to get groups of people to constantly talk about the Book of Mormon and disrupt actual quality time which Mormons love to tell you is job number one.

It's a cult; don't be fooled.
(January 13, 2014 at 6:27 am)cato123 Wrote: This film is much more accurate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jF1EG8o-Q

Some Mormons are industrious, others are not. This is likely in percentages that match the rest of the population. I do not count the various church related tasks they are compelled to do with the use of ward peer pressure to keep good standing. These endeavors are rarely industrious and serve to get groups of people to constantly talk about the Book of Mormon and disrupt actual quality time which Mormons love to tell you is job number one.

It's a cult; don't be fooled.

But even if it is a lie, there are well known people in the media who are mormons who have gotten to where they are today. And mormonism is a small minority.

Like "Brandon Flowers" from killers, i listened to some of his songs a couple of years ago.
So it can be a happy lie that helps the person to achieve their goal. That's what i am wondering about Smile
What makes you so sure that Mormonism was a cause of his/her goal or achievement? What if you said it like this: Despite being a Mormon, Jill is one of the finest cellists alive. Without direct causal evidence this statement is just as valid. In fact I'll argue that religious activites detract from practicing the cello. Reading The God Delusion would also for that matter. My point is that the religion likely has very little to do with non-religios outcomes.

Keep in mind that people achieve the same goals all the time that aren't Mormon. Do you attribute their success to their professed religion or atheism? This should start sounding a bit silly at this point.
(January 13, 2014 at 6:52 am)cato123 Wrote: What makes you so sure that Mormonism was a cause of his/her goal or achievement? What if you said it like this: Despite being a Mormon, Jill is one of the finest cellists alive. Without direct causal evidence this statement is just as valid. In fact I'll argue that religious activites detract from practicing the cello. Reading The God Delusion would also for that matter. My point is that the religion likely has very little to do with non-religios outcomes.

Keep in mind that people achieve the same goals all the time that aren't Mormon. Do you attribute their success to their professed religion or atheism? This should start sounding a bit silly at this point.

Aslong as it motivates then that's the key to trying. Just gotta see how small the minority is and think, wow that's really cool that they got to where they are today.

Motivation has its different way of calling out a person to take it and just go for it Big Grin
Do you also attribute the high suicide rate in Utah to Mormonism, or since this is bad the prime cause must not be associated with something as wonderful as Mormonism?
(January 13, 2014 at 7:08 am)cato123 Wrote: Do you also attribute the high suicide rate in Utah to Mormonism, or since this is bad the prime cause must not be associated with something as wonderful as Mormonism?

I don't know much facts about USA, but its horrible to commit suicide, they need help if they need to take something of their chest. Very unfortunate to hear, poor lives Sad
I know Japan has high suicide rate, probably need to fix society issues when it comes to suicide, best way to solution. I do hope it turns out for the better Smile
(January 13, 2014 at 6:34 am)Rinnard Wrote: But even if it is a lie, there are well known people in the media who are mormons who have gotten to where they are today. And mormonism is a small minority.

There are many more people who have been able to get into high powered jobs who aren't Mormons.

I think being a Mormon is just incidental and not really related at all. Unless you have some compelling figures to provide as evidence?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Mormons are delightfully stupid. We had a couple of them who used to come to our flat every week to try to convert my Mums. They used to invite them in and traumatise the shit out of them. And they'd still come back with the same shit the following week, for like 6 months or something! lol
(January 13, 2014 at 7:33 am)NoraBrimstone Wrote: Mormons are delightfully stupid. We had a couple of them who used to come to our flat every week to try to convert my Mums. They used to invite them in and traumatise the shit out of them. And they'd still come back with the same shit the following week, for like 6 months or something! lol

The scary part is some asked my address to come and talk to me about it, and i said, nooooo Tongue, a seperate site i asked on.

I ordered a book from a site, and said they would send it for free. Mormon.org i think, kinda sceptical at first. But they said there was not tax or anything i had to pay, they just said, alright we'll send you a translation. If its one thing i don't need, then that is people at my door Tongue So i can understand that Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buddha seems to be working pretty well in Thailand vorlon13 12 2574 July 12, 2018 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Aegon
  All dead mormons are now gay Ziploc Surprise 27 9795 July 23, 2012 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Erfalion