Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Do Christians actually want evidence?
Do Christians actually want evidence?
Two options for a believer:

1) There is sufficient evidence to believe the Jesus/God claims in the bible, therefore no faith* is required to believe.

2) There is not sufficient evidence to believe (on evidence alone), which is why faith is required.

Let's imagine Christianity is true, then the following occurs:

Any additional evidence that people find, e.g. they find Noahs Ark/prove the existence of God through logic/ find genuine non christian evidence of Jesus etc push you from 2) towards 1). Eventually you reach a point where faith is not required.

This would be fine, except Christians argue that God purposefully doesn't make his existence obvious** (some claim this would negate free will). So as more and more data supporting Christianity emerges, this plan to not be believed in, apart from those with faith, is slowly ruined.

It also means that people nowadays are unfairly treated (sent to hell for not believing), compared to times in the future where more evidence is available and they are therefore less likely to not believe and get sent to hell***.

It just doesn't make any sense, or does it?

* Faith here is defined as belief without sufficient evidence.
** If an ominpotent God wanted everyone to believe iit exists, it would be able to do this.
*** Even if no hell, Christians almost always argue there are benefits to being a Christian, making life more pleasureable and tend to include life after death which is seen as a massive positive.
RE: Do Christians actually want evidence?
(January 13, 2014 at 7:11 pm)FreeTony Wrote: Two options for a believer:

1) There is sufficient evidence to believe the Jesus/God claims in the bible, therefore no faith* is required to believe.

2) There is not sufficient evidence to believe (on evidence alone), which is why faith is required.

Let's imagine Christianity is true, then the following occurs:

Any additional evidence that people find, e.g. they find Noahs Ark/prove the existence of God through logic/ find genuine non christian evidence of Jesus etc push you from 2) towards 1). Eventually you reach a point where faith is not required.

This would be fine, except Christians argue that God purposefully doesn't make his existence obvious** (some claim this would negate free will). So as more and more data supporting Christianity emerges, this plan to not be believed in, apart from those with faith, is slowly ruined.

It also means that people nowadays are unfairly treated (sent to hell for not believing), compared to times in the future where more evidence is available and they are therefore less likely to not believe and get sent to hell***.

It just doesn't make any sense, or does it?

* Faith here is defined as belief without sufficient evidence.
** If an ominpotent God wanted everyone to believe iit exists, it would be able to do this.
*** Even if no hell, Christians almost always argue there are benefits to being a Christian, making life more pleasureable and tend to include life after death which is seen as a massive positive.
Also unfairly treated compared to people in biblical times. You know, all those earnest 1st century fact checkers who had hard evidence that the resurrection really happened. Tongue
If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people — House
It seems like God really wants people to go to hell, especially skeptical ones.
God is a dick....but then, look at the primitives who created him.
How does staying hidden the only way to prevent the loss of free will?
When I was a child I saw my parents and had free will at the same time. My free will got me in trouble a lot.
How is it any different with a god? I would still have free will if he was standing in front of me.
(January 13, 2014 at 7:11 pm)FreeTony Wrote: Two options for a believer:

3)God is real and will provide whatever is needed to establish and maintain 'belief' IF one simply can humble himself to approach God on His terms and not our own.

Quote:Let's imagine Christianity is true, then the following occurs:

Any additional evidence that people find, e.g. they find Noahs Ark/prove the existence of God through logic/ find genuine non christian evidence of Jesus etc push you from 2) towards 1). Eventually you reach a point where faith is not required
Any evidence found will be boiled down to include only the evidence itself. In 'science' a hand full of bone fragments confirms ALL of prexisting theories of Homo erectus. If Noah's ark were found, it would only be proof of a really big boat shape was found on a mountain.. Then it would be dismissed as some goat hearders attempt to fool future generations to the vality of the story he conjoured up.

Quote:This would be fine, except Christians argue that God purposefully doesn't make his existence obvious** (some claim this would negate free will). So as more and more data supporting Christianity emerges, this plan to not be believed in, apart from those with faith, is slowly ruined.
Christians are not the ones making those claims.

Quote:* Faith here is defined as belief without sufficient evidence.
How much faith did Christ say that is required? That of a mustard seed. Everyone has been given that amount of faith.

Quote:*** Even if no hell, Christians almost always argue there are benefits to being a Christian, making life more pleasureable and tend to include life after death which is seen as a massive positive.
If a Christian is telling you that change the channel (because only tv preachers seem to believe this.)

The bible tells us the oppsite. God did not spare His own Son from Hardship and death, why would we expect anything different? Are we better than Christ?
(January 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm)Drich Wrote: 3)God is real and will provide whatever is needed to establish and maintain 'belief' IF one simply can humble himself to approach God on His terms and not our own.

So all the ex Christians/Pastors were doing it correctly for many years, then God decided to pull the plug?
No, they do not want evidence, they want what suits their own desires, like Muslims and Jews and Hindus. If you want to believe something badly enough nothing that solidly refutes it will get in your way.
(January 14, 2014 at 4:00 pm)FreeTony Wrote:
(January 14, 2014 at 3:11 pm)Drich Wrote: 3)God is real and will provide whatever is needed to establish and maintain 'belief' IF one simply can humble himself to approach God on His terms and not our own.

So all the ex Christians/Pastors were doing it correctly for many years, then God decided to pull the plug?

why do you assume God pulled the plug?
at the end of the day, you can't prove god doesn't exist, so, therefore, your argument is invalid.
Same sex divorce should be outlawed. #StopTheGays

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  didnt want to necropost: what completing the law means. Drich 18 1306 May 12, 2020 at 10:51 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4620 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 3768 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7836 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10242 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2792 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37868 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 28206 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20262 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6025 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152