Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
America and military criticism
America and military criticism

RE: America and military criticism
It must be terribly painful for him to face the reality that his buddies died because of a series of clusterfucks...not the least of which was sending troops to Afghanistan in the first place. At some point though Americans will have to realize that we cannot send a company of marines to every 3d world shithole. They have far more shitholes than we have marines.
Talk to Obama about it.
Uh, well number one...

We went to Afghanistan in the first place, Min, because 3000 Americans died screaming on American soil and the bastards that did it were being harbored in Afghanistan. What would you have us do, wag our finger at them and call them naughty? I really don't understand when people say, "We should never have gone there in the first place!" or "Why are we in Afghanistan?"

What the living fuck?

Anyway.

Yeah, some military guys get defensive when it turns out the country shouldn't have sacrificed their buddies for a less than stellar reason. But the logic behind it is this.

The military isn't a democracy. There are no debate teams. When you sign up for the military you swear to obey lawful orders from your superiors. Not to question them.

That's a privilege that civilians have. Military members voluntarily give up those rights so that you can continue to keep them.

Now, as an example, Vietnam. Major clusterfuck, we lost tons of people, they lost tons of people, and in the end the same result happened if we hadn't even tried at all. So, yeah, you could say it was all a waste.

But for the individual soldier, that's above their paygrade. If a soldier did his duty, and his job, and died doing it then that deserves some respect I would imagine.

I just wish the politicians would act a hell of a lot more wisely.

Robert A. Heinlein, the late science fiction writer, advocated that only veterans should have the full rights as we all do now as citizens. For the most part everything would still be the same all around. But only veterans would be able to vote or hold public office.

Maybe if Congress was comprised of nothing but battle scarred veterans they'd spend American lives more frugally.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Quote:Now, as an example, Vietnam. Major clusterfuck, we lost tons of people, they lost tons of people, and in the end the same result happened if we hadn't even tried at all. So, yeah, you could say it was all a waste.

Can you seriously look at Afghanistan and think that the ultimate outcome is going to be any different than Vietnam.

Yes, I know that the leaders were in Afghanistan. So what? If a bank robber runs into a school will the cops burn the school down just to get him? Okay - bad example. These days they might. Ultimately we got bin Laden with a small group - not an army. We had an administration which thought that any problem could be solved by dropping bombs on it. They conned themselves into thinking that we'd be greeted as "liberators." As a result we have taken a further 20,000 casualties on top of the original 3,000 and that's not including Iraq which was an even bigger clusterfuck than Afghanistan. And, for what? To prop up sleazy bastards like Karzai and Maliki?

We cannot police the whole world.

I certainly understand why any soldier would not want to think too deeply about the sacrifices they made.

I'm not so sure about the veterans idea though. As the saying goes "old soldiers never die because young soldiers do all the fighting."
So your big plan would have been for us to ignore 9/11, Min? Just shrug and say it's ok, we'll just clean up the mess and forget about the whole thing?

Bin Laden blew up the USS Cole to draw us into war and it didn't happen. So he ramped it up and implemented the 9/11 event. If we had ignored that he would have continued and done something else. Over and over and over.

Were we just going to sit here and take hit after hit? Bullshit.

I'd rather our soldiers die over there than our civilians die over here.

Oh, we took causalities in Afghanistan. Wow, no one saw that coming. What the fuck.

Invading Afghanistan was the only correct choice.

The only time an American soldier feels like their buddies died in Afghanistan for nothing is when they talk to an ungrateful idiot like you that has their head stuck up their ass.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(January 16, 2014 at 11:33 pm)Rahul Wrote: Uh, well number one...

We went to Afghanistan in the first place, Min, because 3000 Americans died screaming on American soil and the bastards that did it were being harbored in Afghanistan. What would you have us do, wag our finger at them and call them naughty? I really don't understand when people say, "We should never have gone there in the first place!" or "Why are we in Afghanistan?"

What the living fuck?

Anyway.

Yeah, some military guys get defensive when it turns out the country shouldn't have sacrificed their buddies for a less than stellar reason. But the logic behind it is this.

The military isn't a democracy. There are no debate teams. When you sign up for the military you swear to obey lawful orders from your superiors. Not to question them.

That's a privilege that civilians have. Military members voluntarily give up those rights so that you can continue to keep them.

Now, as an example, Vietnam. Major clusterfuck, we lost tons of people, they lost tons of people, and in the end the same result happened if we hadn't even tried at all. So, yeah, you could say it was all a waste.

But for the individual soldier, that's above their paygrade. If a soldier did his duty, and his job, and died doing it then that deserves some respect I would imagine.

I just wish the politicians would act a hell of a lot more wisely.

Robert A. Heinlein, the late science fiction writer, advocated that only veterans should have the full rights as we all do now as citizens. For the most part everything would still be the same all around. But only veterans would be able to vote or hold public office.

Maybe if Congress was comprised of nothing but battle scarred veterans they'd spend American lives more frugally.
Stupidity deserves respect?... what a world.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

It is a false dichotomy to think that we can only be brash and reckless or do nothing, and I really wish people would stop using it to defend highly flawed, short-sighted military campaigns.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Vietnam was a huge mistake & horrible war. But invading Afghanistan was the correct choice. Iraq also needed to be liberated from the dictatorship of Ba'ath, although I don't like the way Bush Jr. handled it. If he had taken the same route as his father none of our men would have died. The Gulf War was a huge success & much to the credit of Bush Sr., who owned Saddam without even injuring a single serviceman.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3723 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 6784 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Can America ever truly pay for its sins? T.J. 111 6911 January 10, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 823 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 2883 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1077 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Make America Nice Again Secular Elf 53 3488 November 9, 2020 at 6:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ike Warns of unchecked military industry. Brian37 25 2363 May 26, 2020 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Serious] The Mental Illness Crisis in America T.J. 9 1106 August 19, 2019 at 12:03 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Anyone Else in America See Your Taxes Go Up? DeistPaladin 17 2264 April 12, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants