Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Username Rules
New Username Rules
Staff have recently been concerned with a couple of matters relating to usernames. The first is the increase in the amount of username changes, with some users changing their usernames multiple times within a short time period. The second is the choice of username containing nothing but "special characters" (e.g. characters not in the Roman alphabet).

The first matter was the result of poorly implemented settings, with certain groups allowed to make more changes than others. We have rectified this and set up all non-staff groups so that username changes are allowed once per 365 days. Special permission must be sought from a member of staff if you wish to change your username more than once during this time period, and it will only be granted if there is a very good reason for changing it.

As for why changing your username frequently is a bad thing, well, despite the fact that a public log is kept of all your username changes, it can still get very confusing when members change their username. With so many people on this site, keeping track of everyone you converse with is very important, and we believe that limiting username changes will benefit everyone in the long run.

The second matter (using special characters in usernames) is a problem because it makes conversing with people difficult, and it also makes the job of the staff harder when we have to copy and paste usernames rather than type them in places. To deal with this problem, we are implementing the following guideline:

Quote:Usernames
Due to the need to maintain clarity and consistency when reading through threads, members are limited to only one username change per year. Members may change their username for any reason, but it is recommended that great consideration is taken when doing so.

While usernames are not heavily regulated, it is advised that members begin their usernames with regular keyboard characters (i.e. characters that are easily typed on an English keyboard), and include some portion that can be pronounced in the English language. Not only is this just good forum etiquette, but it allows for functionality of the site, easier searches, and clarity for the readers. Staff reserve the right to reject a username on the grounds of clarity and / or functionality.

We decided against creating a complex list of username requirements, but generally speaking, as long as your username starts with 4 or more regular keyboard characters, the rest of the username can contain whatever you want.

- Atheist Forums Staff
RE: New Username Rules
Excellent Smile I was that grain of rice, no? Sleepy

Ahhh... they should give me a medal or six.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(January 20, 2014 at 5:25 pm)Alice Wrote: Excellent Smile I was that grain of rice, no? Sleepy

Ahhh... they should give me a medal or six.

No
(January 20, 2014 at 5:26 pm)LastPoet Wrote: No

I will try harder, I will make fresh hummus!
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
O smell a wabbit and a ryan behind this...
Anyway, I like it.
Sound policy, so I decided to change my name. What do you think? 364 days to go.

While I was at it, this came to mind...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6l5AZILFmg
(January 20, 2014 at 5:41 pm)pocaracas Wrote: O smell a wabbit and a ryan behind this...
Anyway, I like it.

Boo. I even changed my custom title so that people would still have an easy time referring to me.

NOBODY APPRECIATES A USERNAME ARTIST

LOOK

IT USED TO BE A TABLE BEING FLIPPED BUT I CHANGED IT TO A CROSS BEING TIPPED

THAT'S CUTTING EDGE

I had tentatively planned to return to 'apophenia' after 90 days, as that was what the minimum period for changing again was when I made the change to 'rasetsu'. Will I be able to revert at the 90 days and grandfather in, or do I have to stick for 365 days?

Just my two cents worth, while I can understand not wanting people chaging every month, only one change per year seems unusually restrictive and will discourage people from rectifying whatever name change situation they may be facing because of the lengthy commitment. (For example, Ivy originally signed up as jsrm10 due to a misunderstanding of the membership joining procedure. As a new user, all she would have seen upon having the possibility of changing to a more user friendly name is that if she was unhappy, she would be unhappy for a long time; and, if she did change and was unhappy, she likely wouldn't have stuck around. In other words, imho, 365 days is simply onerously long.)

How about as a compromise, only two username changes in any 365 day period; that way, people have the freedom to revert or change if they're unhappy, but only once. I think that's less onerous.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I've always found c172 kind of a bore. The day I picked it, over on .com, I just couldn't think of anything.

But now I'm glad I'm committed to it. I agree that this rash of name changes has been tedious. It's like me changing my name to Ted (from Cory) and informing my family of it. Name is actually a part of the persona.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
HA Haas's

Violet's stuck with Alice for a yearrrr!

Oh the memes that will be made, oh yes
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Area 69 Rules Update Cyberman 34 5770 July 27, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can you figure out The Rules? Tiberius 0 941 April 1, 2017 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  New Rules Tiberius 20 4985 September 3, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  New Rules (Member Review) Tiberius 29 11135 September 3, 2015 at 2:11 am
Last Post: surreptitious57
  New Administrator / Moderator Notices + Rules Update Tiberius 38 6792 July 15, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Rules rexbeccarox 80 12777 January 23, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Announcement: Rules update Jackalope 1 1817 August 17, 2014 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Introduction subforum rules and enforcement policy - you need to read this. Jackalope 21 6892 May 1, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  An Update of the Rules Rayaan 8 4454 August 24, 2013 at 5:33 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  New Area 69 Rules Tiberius 22 10323 February 7, 2013 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman