Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old testament and new testament
Old testament and new testament
Okay so the old testament paints god as this horrible superbeing and the new one paints him as a slightly less horrible superbeing. I am confused who wrote the new testament? and decide to change things?. Did god supposly tell them to write it or did they thing the original old testament was wrong?

I have always been confused about this.
RE: Old testament and new testament
(January 29, 2014 at 3:33 am)yoshirama Wrote: Okay so the old testament paints god as this horrible superbeing and the new one paints him as a slightly less horrible superbeing. I am confused who wrote the new testament? and decide to change things?. Did god supposly tell them to write it or did they thing the original old testament was wrong?

The short answer is that the new testament is the fulfillment of the old testament and is now the covenant God has made with each individual (a "new" covenant). It is also retroactive in it's effect to people who lived prior to Christ. He is the one and only permanent sacrifice for all time and all peoples.

God inspired and men penned both the old and new testament.

I can understand how people draw the wrong conclusion about God's character and nature from the old testament, but what is it specifically about the new testament that causes you to conclude that God is a "slightly less horrible superbeing"?

If it could be proven beyond doubt that God exists...
and that He is the one spoken of in the Bible...
would you repent of your sins and place your faith in Jesus Christ?

The old testament, also known as the Jewish Torah, was written about a thousand years before the new testament. They weren't written at the same time, and the Torah gives little to no incling of any messiah that will save them from eternal hell. Mostly because there was no eternal torture then. I think the closest thing is some child named Emmanuel, which isn't talking about Jesus.

So yeah, Yahweh and Jesus are pretty different, and christianity loves to incorporate parts of other beliefs into the system to help convert people, so I imagine that's why they claimed Jesus was the son of Yahweh. Personally I think if they wanted to have a softer, friendlier religion, they should have distanced themselves as much from the mass murderer as possible. Not that Jesus didn't have some bad ideas, but he wasn't as openly violent as his dad.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Boy, talk about spin. Does any of what you've said actually make sense to you? We've all heard it before but it still sounds pretty .. dumb.
Quote:The short answer is that the new testament is the fulfillment of the old testament and is now the covenant God has made with each individual

The correct answer is that the OT was cobbled together out of the tales which were common in the ANE whereas the NT was written by a bunch of phony bastards who had been exposed to Greek philosophy for 3-4 centuries.

No "gods" involved. Just human imagination.
In the gap between the OT and NT, some people learned a little bit more about better ways to live together and treat each other, although figuring it out and living it are two different things, as we still find today. Though much of what was thought 2,000 years ago is considered barbaric by modern standards it was still an improvement. The NT reflected that new understanding. Some of the teachings of both testaments remain good advice today, but we've continued to improve in a two-steps forward, one-step back kind of way. For instance, slavery is now commonly understood to be a bad thing.
OT God = A cunt.
NT God = A cunt with better PR.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
When God makes a new covenant with the Jews, it is only to re-establish and re-affirm the covenants with the Jews that came before. The covenant God made with Isaac did not replace or break the covenant God made with Abraham. So when Christians oh that was the old, its not!!! READ UR BIBLES...
(January 29, 2014 at 3:33 am)yoshirama Wrote: Okay so the old testament paints god as this horrible superbeing and the new one paints him as a slightly less horrible superbeing. I am confused who wrote the new testament? and decide to change things?. Did god supposly tell them to write it or did they thing the original old testament was wrong?

The god in the NT invented eternal punishment for finite thought crimes.

Doesn't sound like such an improvement to his behavior in the OT to me.

The only good thing about him, in either book, is his continued nonexistence.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
The old testament helped me alot... I dont mix fabrics and I dont wear white after labor day.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8508 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6293 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 35978 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 16843 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 108290 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 10474 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 22542 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 22009 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 6902 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution
  Does the New Testament contain sexism? Mudhammam 78 14623 October 14, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Zidneya