Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Teacher
Christian Teacher
I'm in high school, i have a teacher that always talks about god and insists that I capitalize the G in god. How should I deal with this,and my mom doesn't think it is a big deal.
RE: Christian Teacher
Tell him that unless there is a direct reference to the Christian god as a title there is no reason to capitalize it. The word "god" is NOT a pronoun.
Bring it to the attention of the school principal.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
What subject is it and how does god fit into your schoolwork? The word I mean, not the imaginary being.
Replace use of the term "god" with "allah" and watch how fast her attitude changes.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(January 31, 2014 at 11:03 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Tell him that unless there is a direct reference to the Christian god as a title there is no reason to capitalize it. The word "god" is NOT a pronoun.

Thanks but honestly, i don't think she cares
I would say to you....

"Let it slide for now"

You are in high school therefore a minor. Wait until you reach your majority then do the heck you like. So long as this teacher doesn't mind capitalising Atheist? After all they are both proper nouns.

Learn the rules, so you know how and why to break them
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Never too early to stand up for your rights. I mean sure, it's not going to be a problem once you're all grown up and gone from the school, but it's going to be a problem for other kids. But, if you want to do something about it, play smart, if you know you cannot win, then it's not worth it. Try bringing it to the attention of other kids who have atheist families and see if their parents care.

The Secular Student Alliance can help you with this. It's what they do.

http://www.secularstudents.org/

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 31, 2014 at 11:03 pm)Kitanetos Wrote: Bring it to the attention of the school principal.

I'm considering doing this,but, i'm kind of nervous. i live in the middle of nowhere and everybody is a die hard christian, for example on one of the trash cans at my school it said "evolution makes scientist look like monkeys" thank you for the suggestion.

(January 31, 2014 at 11:12 pm)rasetsu Wrote:

The Secular Student Alliance can help you with this. It's what they do.

http://www.secularstudents.org/

Thank you, i will look into this , really thank you.

[quote='pineapplebunnybounce' pid='595522' dateline='1391224211']
Never too early to stand up for your rights. I mean sure, it's not going to be a problem once you're all grown up and gone from the school, but it's going to be a problem for other kids. But, if you want to do something about it, play smart, if you know you cannot win, then it's not worth it. Try bringing it to the attention of other kids who have atheist families and see if their parents care.
[/quo
I appreciate the advice but truly i don't think there is another atheist in that school

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So my high school teacher is on the front page of the Huffington Post today... Mudhammam 22 5150 July 28, 2014 at 11:26 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Was Jesus a great moral teacher? xpastor 51 10070 April 14, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: archangle
  A new member. A Catholic school teacher. Mr. Moncrieff 105 20914 February 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda