Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new member. A Catholic school teacher.
A new member. A Catholic school teacher.
Hello there. I am from North East England and am actually taking quite a risk in posting on this forum but I am determined to speak to like minded people as regards my current developing stance on philosophy and personal enlightenment.

I am a Catholic teacher in a Catholic school, but I have very recently questioned my beliefs with increasing fervour.

Reading Hitchens, Dawkins, Russell, Kant and Schopenhauer I have come to the conclusion that my own belief system has long been without vigour for quite some time. I have been going through the motions. Proselytising to the children as a mouthpiece for the church, rather than being allowed to educate with the trust of personal responsibility.

I am looking to leave my position within the next few months, but it is increasingly important to me that I remove myself in order that my hypocrisy not damage both my personal sense, my professional sense and my personal philosophy.

However, being as I am a relatively senior member of the school, it will be very difficult to move out of the Catholic system without something looking quite odd. It also means my options are immediately lessened.

But my family need a room over their heads and an income coming in.

Thanks for listening and I am welcome to all opinions.
RE: A new member. A Catholic school teacher.
Welcome! Tough position you've got there. I hope we can help you in some way Smile
I'm sure there are many people in religiously based professions trapped like you.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

It's an odd situation. You feel as though you are betraying many people. Not least yourself.

Even though my faith has waned, my love for my colleagues remains the same and it feels very difficult to consider that they may see my motivations as a sleight.

Very odd.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
Stop waisting time and get off this forum and find a job!!!! Just kidding!!!!!! Haahha!! Welcome u came to the right place...
Welcome!

Is it at all possible to still teach at the school but not proselytize? I mean if you teach English for example, it might be possible to remain there. Science, however, maybe not...

I do understand the personal reasons, though. I couldn't imagine working in a place that offended my sense of personal integrity. Tough spot.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

You might find the new book by Daniel Dennett interesting: Caught in The Pulpit: Leaving Belief Behind

It's about the experience of priests and pastors who no longer believe, but feel "trapped" in their profession.

And welcome.

[Image: caught-in-the-pulpit.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 21, 2014 at 2:27 pm)Mr. Moncrieff Wrote: It's an odd situation. You feel as though you are betraying many people. Not least yourself.

Even though my faith has waned, my love for my colleagues remains the same and it feels very difficult to consider that they may see my motivations as a sleight.

Very odd.

If they love you as you love them, they won't take personal offense. If they do, it means you love lesser people.
Welcome aboard!

You are indeed in a tough position.

You may want to contact The Clergy Project. It is a nonprofit (non-Prophet Big Grin) organization designed to help people in exactly your situation.

http://www.clergyproject.org/

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
As one who was formerly on the "inside" looking "out", I can certainly relate to your dilemma. I don't have any advice for you because I don't know your personal situation, and even if I did, I don't know if the advice I would give would be helpful. All I can tell you is to be true to your inner self. If that negatively affects how people view you, that's their problem, not yours. Keep your chin up.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1791 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5228 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  I'm now a paid up member of the CFI - Feels Ace! Duty 9 888 December 22, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92548 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  What should I do if I'm being forced to go to a Christian School? Socratic Meth Head 51 11579 June 10, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: abaris
  So, my son attends school at the church Easy Guns 44 8989 January 11, 2016 at 6:14 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Daughter objects to prayers at school TubbyTubby 48 7541 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Going to a Roman Catholic school and expressing my opinion. piterski123 7 3357 April 28, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Anyone else an atheist while going to a Christian school? KentuckySkeptic224 7 3047 October 16, 2014 at 7:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The latest Catholic plot! StealthySkeptic 11 3059 September 10, 2014 at 12:11 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic