Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hell does NOT exist in the bible?
Hell does NOT exist in the bible?
I came across this

Is it true? Then why isn't it more talked about? If it's true then facts like that should make christians to question their believs easier. Since fear of punishment often hinders it.

QUOTE SOURCE: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?...-the-bible!
RE: Hell does NOT exist in the bible?

Much of the lore surrounding hell as a place of fiery torment had its origins in literature that is outside the Protestant and Catholic canons and is properly pseudoepigraphia and other literature. (Though there may be some in Maccabees, which is included in Catholic bibles.)

It isn't talked about more because most Christians don't know shit about their own religion and really don't care.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Frankly, I don't see that it much matters. If the majority (or even a significant minority) of Christians believe that Hell is a place of fire, brimstone and everlasting torment where you get jabbed in the nads by pitchfork-wielding imps, then that IS a Christian tenet.

Religion consists of what believers believe and not much else.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I've repeatedly brought this up, in that Hell fire is not fire. To be consumed by hell fire simply describes the emotion/reaction evoked by a being engulfed by fire. It does not compare, as the panic, dread and out right fear one experiences in hell fire can not compare to fire, it is just the closest thing we have to compare.

I have also said many times the bible only says that satan and his followers/demons will be the ones who are hell's eternal residents. To experience such utter panic pain and fear over a period of time the thin line of sanity that keeps us from becoming a mass of raw unchecked negative emotions would disappear. All that we were would have been consumed by hell fire.

Whether our spiritual essence would remain after our consciousness was consumed really does not matter at that point, does it?
In your case it doesn't matter now.
(February 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm)Drich Wrote: I've repeatedly brought this up, in that Hell fire is not fire. To be consumed by hell fire simply describes the emotion/reaction evoked by a being engulfed by fire. It does not compare, as the panic, dread and out right fear one experiences in hell fire can not compare to fire, it is just the closest thing we have to compare.

So you're claiming to have physically been in "hell" such that you know from experience or someone else's experience what it is like. Not a dream, not "inferred from other things," not the product of an epileptic fit, you're claiming you've actually verifiably been to hell, is that correct?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Re: RE: Hell does NOT exist in the bible?
(February 1, 2014 at 10:11 pm)Drich Wrote: I've repeatedly brought this up, in that Hell fire is not fire. To be consumed by hell fire simply describes the emotion/reaction evoked by a being engulfed by fire. It does not compare, as the panic, dread and out right fear one experiences in hell fire can not compare to fire, it is just the closest thing we have to compare.

I have also said many times the bible only says that satan and his followers/demons will be the ones who are hell's eternal residents. To experience such utter panic pain and fear over a period of time the thin line of sanity that keeps us from becoming a mass of raw unchecked negative emotions would disappear. All that we were would have been consumed by hell fire.

Whether our spiritual essence would remain after our consciousness was consumed really does not matter at that point, does it?

Do you have points of reference in the bible that confirm what you are saying?
(February 1, 2014 at 10:15 pm)rasetsu Wrote: So you're claiming to have physically been in "hell" such that you know from experience or someone else's experience what it is like. Not a dream, not "inferred from other things," not the product of an epileptic fit, you're claiming you've actually verifiably been to hell, is that correct?

Are you saying it is possible to physically goto hell? If no, then how does one retain physical/verifiable evidence?

(February 1, 2014 at 11:55 pm)KUSA Wrote:

Do you have points of reference in the bible that confirm what you are saying?

I have book chapter and verse that say hell was created to punish satan. That he will be imprisioned there and OT the ruler of hell. That hell is a pit or a void of creation, that for us it is our second death. That we will be consumed by the 'fire of hell.' That our experience there will be as if we were cast into fire. The experience of hell fire was my own.
(February 2, 2014 at 12:54 am)Drich Wrote: Are you saying it is possible to physically goto hell? If no, then how does one retain physical/verifiable evidence?

Your disbelief demands we ask: how can you possibly be making declarative statements about what hell is like if you're so quizzical about ever going there? Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(February 2, 2014 at 1:25 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(February 2, 2014 at 12:54 am)Drich Wrote: Are you saying it is possible to physically goto hell? If no, then how does one retain physical/verifiable evidence?

Your disbelief demands we ask: how can you possibly be making declarative statements about what hell is like if you're so quizzical about ever going there? Thinking

Just because I would have you ask does this somehow prevent me from asking you questions as well?

My asking you questions is not designed to shut down the conversation, but to get you to think a little differently about what is being discussed.

Rasetsu wanted physical evidence.. But how is that possible if hell is not a physical place?

The idea here is to move beyond the limits she has placed on this conversation to perhaps take in the bigger picture. In that this universe is far greater and more diverse than what we can physically account for. So why limit what one can understand by what can physically be observed?

(February 2, 2014 at 12:54 am)Drich Wrote: That he will be imprisioned there and OT the ruler of hell.

This should read satan is Not the ruler of Hell.. (But a prisoner there.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38449 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Two verses on hell from the bible purplepurpose 7 639 June 15, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44098 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6582 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1683 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Someone I know believes in the Devil but not in Hell Der/die AtheistIn 36 2329 March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  No Shitball, It Does Not Violate Your Rights Minimalist 10 2198 April 22, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12377 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  The Problem With This Guy Is That He Does Not Understand Evangelicals Minimalist 1 1107 April 6, 2017 at 12:19 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Does Bible specifically forbid Anal sex? ErGingerbreadMandude 145 16657 March 23, 2017 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis