Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A request to fr0d0 to elaborate
A request to fr0d0 to elaborate
Our resident - and most active - theist, fr0d0, has said quite a few times now - including to me on MSN - that he doesn't believe God 'exists', or he believes that his existent is "irrelevant"... and that God "just "IS" ".

Here is a thread where I say to fr0d0...

"Please elaborate on this..."

What do you actually mean fr0d0? How can God be anything at all, how does it make sense to say he "just IS", without you actually believing he exists?

How can something "be" without existing?

Do you not believe that "God" is anything more than a concept, or a fantasy, imaginary?

How can he really be anything more than that without existing?

Fr0dester - Please do elaborate...

EvF
RE: An asking of fr0d0 to elaborate
Fr0d0 has never been consistent or clear in his explanations of what he believes, you expect that to change? o.o()
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Nah... I just want to see what he has to say for himself.

EvF
Wait wait wait, so he Believes in God in terms as uncertain as a Deist yet still considers himself Christian?
Yuk at the thread title LOL

& thanks E! I have been consistent, and I don't see why my opinions can't change if my beliefs do... how strange of you to set that anchor.

The discussion on MSN was about Evie's understanding of 'exist'. As I've said repeatedly, God just 'is'. And I'm cogitating on that idea.

Evie accepts that this existence would encompass a transcendent, timeless entity.

What more is there to say??
And how do you know with any level of honest and certainty that God exists at all in any form?
You can't which is the point.
As I have said, I understand what you mean if you say he exists but he is transcendent... but to say he doesn't even exist and yet still 'IS' makes no sense whatsoever. How can anything 'be' anything without it existing?

EvF
fr0d0,

Are you a Heideggerian? The man has devoted a lifetime to come up with homonyms and synonyms of "to be" and the resemblance with your mystical quote is striking. Please do elaborate.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Never heard of the bloke Rabbit. At your attempt at marginalisation: the former Bishop of Oxford Richard Harries last night said the exact same thing (that God is non 'existant'). As both he and Charles Moore also said, modern Atheists and Christian fundamentalists feed off each other and there is very little understanding of what actual mainstream Christianity, practiced by 99% of Christians, is about.

@ Evie does an essence exist? And if so, how?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Per request, here's some target practice. tackattack 19 4668 March 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: tackattack