Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer code(s) found within super string equations.
Computer code(s) found within super string equations.

How does this affect your view of the universe, and ultimately your own existence. For myself it makes perfect sense based on the various philosophies I hold, but it also makes some possibilities open that I wish not to discuss at this time, simply because it would take too long.
RE: Computer code(s) found within super string equations.

[Image: 2013-07-17_063519_The_Ultimate_Computer_055.JPG]
"Insufficient Data."

I haven't watched it, but the following video is probably more informative: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6w0K5FIgsU

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Psst. Superstring theory is a hypothesis currently without any possible empirical support.
Any new hypothesis in Physics has to be supported by current data, and future data. We already have a very good standard model of particle physics, which has been tested at the sorts of energy levels we can reach with current technology. However it breaks down at very high energy levels (such as those found near the start of the universe), which is why new theories are needed.

Theoretical physics tries to come up with new hypotheses. These have to satisfy current data and if they manage that they are just as valid as current particle theories, as they will make identical predictions. If they can't satisfy current data they are discarded.

Theories never perfectly match the real world*. An improved theory either makes more accurate predictions, or makes them over a larger range of data (or hopefully both). They are just models of reality.

*Certainly at the moment.
(February 6, 2014 at 9:41 pm)x2theone2x Wrote: How does this affect your view of the universe, and ultimately your own existence. For myself it makes perfect sense based on the various philosophies I hold, but it also makes some possibilities open that I wish not to discuss at this time, simply because it would take too long.
It would simply prove what we already know, that the theory is wrong.

I'm not quite sure why people are fascinated by string theory - mainly because it doesn't have any real-world practical advantages over other models of the universe which we can use every day. String theory is still just a model nothing more and it isn't real, it isn't any more real than quantum mechanics or general relativity.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
It's more real than you, Anglican. Tongue

Quote:As for the work in question he's dealing with spinor structures, specifically spin 1/2 structures so you get binary representations naturally. This structure can be written as 0,1 structure instead, so it's not like binary representations are unknown things in physics. In this case it happens the particular spinor constructs he's considering also can be put in a graph structure. Again, this is not a new concept, using graphs to represent decompositions of algebras is a centuries old procedure, known to anyone studying theoretical physics, particularly gauge theory. In this case the graph structure happens to be equivalent to error correcting code.

It's important not to fall into the trap of confirmation bias. As I said, there's many many years of physics involving graph structures, spinors, decompositions and symmetries. It's not terribly shocking that at some point someone comes across a structure which has been seen elsewhere. Saying "Wow, this is clear justification for the Matrix view of the universe!" is a bit like me asking someone to think of a number between 1 and 1000, trying to guess it and when I finally guess right after many failed tries I declare it evidence I'm telepathic.

~from sci forums which has more linky and good stuff. Wink
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does God have in common with String Theory? LinuxGal 2 771 December 30, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1490 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "Super" Moon tonight! Jehanne 6 1002 December 4, 2017 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Sterben
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55395 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Amazing Dinosaur Found (Accidentally) by Miners in Canada TubbyTubby 4 1662 May 14, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Earliest evidence of life on Earth 'found' Minimalist 6 1744 March 1, 2017 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Planet Found in Habitable Zone Around Nearest Star zebo-the-fat 72 8089 August 27, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 6093 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Mega structure found dyresand 58 10164 January 14, 2016 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New Super Henge Discovered The Valkyrie 8 2083 September 7, 2015 at 11:50 am
Last Post: KUSA