Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the forum
New to the forum
I'm Bryan McDowell. I'm the President of Secular Humanist Society of East Texas. I've been an atheist for about 6 years. I was born and raised in East Texas with a religious family. I turned a few years ago after an awakening into science and started indulging in Hitchens' and Dawkins' books. I started SHSET about 3 months ago and, against all odds (given my location), we have flourished. We are a 501©(3) non-profit organization, a chapter of the American Humanist Association and are affiliated with American Atheists and the Council for Secular Humanism. We have over 200 members and currently have numerous volunteer activites, charity drives, etc. scheduled. I plan to grow the organization state wide. For anyone in the area, please check out our site and there's a link to our FB group that's very active.

<SNIP>

I look forward to many discussions on here.
Bryan McDowell
President, Secular Humanist Society of East Texas
http://www.shset.org
RE: New to the forum
Welcome Enjoy the forums.
Welcome, brave Texan.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Welcome! I've lived in FL and NC, which aren't terribly friendly to folks like us. Glad you're holding true to yourself in TX.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Welcome.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
We have a few Texans around here who could use your help. They feel very lonely down there in batshit land.

Welcome.
Hi! Welcome!
Some may call them junk, I call them treasures.
Hi new person.
Yes welcome and thank you for being sane in Texas. Nothing but best wishes on all your endeavors there.

Looking forward to the month passing or your post total getting up there so we can see more about your organization.
HI!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New[ish] to the forum OakTree500 15 1120 February 19, 2020 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Smedders
  New Atheist to Forum Saying Hi.... TonyPhotographer 11 1590 November 12, 2016 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  Old atheist, new to forum Bunburryist 25 2609 August 10, 2016 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  NEW TO THE FORUM GUIDE ME :P logicNartman 9 1703 July 9, 2016 at 12:24 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Hi! New to the forum vendetta 16 1978 September 6, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  New to the forum vervillev 18 1967 July 11, 2014 at 2:01 am
Last Post: vervillev
  New to the forum Blake the Heretic 33 6368 December 22, 2013 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Blake the Heretic
  Looking for new forum home. Hobbitgirl 41 6826 November 1, 2013 at 9:01 am