Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preception and reality
Preception and reality
Through my blindness I find that my idea of reality is changed. I don't have quite as many pre-conceived notions about the world. Instead of taking the world at a glance and making a swift judgment I must wait, listen, touch( if I can) and carefully evaluate my surroundings. For instance if I hear running water I cannot automatically assume there is actual water near me. I must wait. See if anyone else notices water. Check for the smell of water. Or notice water by touch. Otherwise the sound of water could just be a recording of running water. I never really noticed how the loss of one sense drastically alters whether I am neutral, passive, or active in my judgement calls.
RE: Preception and reality
(February 12, 2014 at 12:27 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Through my blindness I find that my idea of reality is changed. I don't have quite as many pre-conceived notions about the world. Instead of taking the world at a glance and making a swift judgment I must wait, listen, touch( if I can) and carefully evaluate my surroundings. For instance if I hear running water I cannot automatically assume there is actual water near me. I must wait. See if anyone else notices water. Check for the smell of water. Or notice water by touch. Otherwise the sound of water could just be a recording of running water. I never really noticed how the loss of one sense drastically alters whether I am neutral, passive, or active in my judgement calls.

This is really an interesting insight into things.

I was thinking for the past few days, something along similar lines. When I was a Christian, how I used to believe people at face value, rather than letting their actions speak for themselves. Right away, I'd believe people, trust people (men mainly) too quickly. I allowed many toxic people into my life, because as a 'good Christian,' I was taught to always be forgiving. Always looking for the good in people, even when they didn't honestly deserve it. I dated a number of 'bad guys,' applying this thinking. I remember a few years back, reading that Pat Robertston had advised a caller who was being abused by her husband, to 'keep praying, that God wouldn't want her to divorce. To pray for her husband.' What a fucking idiot, to advise a woman to stay in harm's way, because ''God might be mad at her.''

In another thread here today, there is a discussion about comparing these two concepts...of reality vs perception. Can our perceptions of things become our reality? I'd say, in some cases, yes. There was a time, when I once perceived the Bible to be a true account of how Christianity came to be, but after researching for a few years, and self reflection, I realized it wasn't based in 'reality.' That my perceptions were leading me away from genuine reality. Objective reality.

Now, I use reality to well... judge reality. lol I look at how people treat me, not just the words they are saying, anymore. If I date a guy, and he says a lot of great things, but in his actions, doesn't respect me...he's out. My perceptions are matching more and more to what actual reality really is, day by day. It's a great feeling to no longer live in just my own perceptions of reality, but rather reality itself.

Like your water example, I now ''wait'' to see if reality matches my perception of a given situation.

Great thread topic. I hope more people chime in. Cool
(February 12, 2014 at 12:27 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Through my blindness I find that my idea of reality is changed. I don't have quite as many pre-conceived notions about the world. Instead of taking the world at a glance and making a swift judgment I must wait, listen, touch( if I can) and carefully evaluate my surroundings. For instance if I hear running water I cannot automatically assume there is actual water near me. I must wait. See if anyone else notices water. Check for the smell of water. Or notice water by touch. Otherwise the sound of water could just be a recording of running water. I never really noticed how the loss of one sense drastically alters whether I am neutral, passive, or active in my judgement calls.

If you're actually blind how do you read the comments? Or are you using a Biblical metaphor?
(March 11, 2014 at 2:50 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:

If you're actually blind how do you read the comments? Or are you using a Biblical metaphor?

Actually blind here:

(March 11, 2014 at 2:50 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: If you're actually blind how do you read the comments? Or are you using a Biblical metaphor?

You come across as a bit of a prick here...
Broken,

That's the coolest thing I ever saw. I had no idea an ipad could do that. The speed with which the thing talks to you is almost nonsense to me but I guess that is something you have gotten used to.

It just amazes me that you can navigate around the screen. How easy is it to switch tabs, load up another site and so on?

Also - have you tried dictating your responses to the ipad? I don't know how good it is with the spoken word - I guess it could be trained and optimized for your voice.

Serious impressed anyway. Thanks for sharing.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
(March 11, 2014 at 6:54 am)max-greece Wrote: Broken,

That's the coolest thing I ever saw. I had no idea an ipad could do that. The speed with which the thing talks to you is almost nonsense to me but I guess that is something you have gotten used to.

It just amazes me that you can navigate around the screen. How easy is it to switch tabs, load up another site and so on?

Also - have you tried dictating your responses to the ipad? I don't know how good it is with the spoken word - I guess it could be trained and optimized for your voice.

Serious impressed anyway. Thanks for sharing.

The newer versions of iPad have dictation, and I'm using my phone right now it has dictation, but I'm going first-generation iPad which sucks butt!
I'm slow, I didn't catch on to the full meaning of your OP reading it the first time last night. :/ I was applying what you posted in a religious sense.

Reading it again, I think that's fascinating!

I sometimes try to imagine what other senses we could have in addition to the ones we are used to - how would it change our perception of reality. In a way, our technology does this - the way I am interacting with you now is an odd extension of my sensory input.
I wouldn't be hard on yourself about it, Deidre. In a way, it still applies. I think both of you are forcing yourselves or being forced to look at the world more analytically. It's very Sherlockian. Smile
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are philosophers jealous lovers about reality? vulcanlogician 4 501 February 10, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3185 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 62609 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 6829 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does perfection in reality never contain any flaws ? The Wise Joker 55 9284 February 7, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Sal
Exclamation Proof For The Materialization Of Dream Objects Into Reality A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 15 3786 August 19, 2015 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Playing Reality like a Video Game? sswhateverlove 33 6531 September 15, 2014 at 8:30 am
Last Post: sswhateverlove
  What is reality? Gooders1002 8 2827 February 9, 2014 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Question Can we see reality as it is? FractalEternalWheel 19 6924 January 3, 2014 at 1:21 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Is reality like a computer? Nightfoot92 32 8784 September 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Brian37