Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing Reality like a Video Game?
Playing Reality like a Video Game?
There are currently no commonly accepted theories that unify the observations of general relativity and quantum mechanics, but that does not mean there are no theories. A theory that has been said to unify and explain these conflicting observations assumes first that the progression of time, as we perceive it, is illusory. To put this in context, Einstein first proposed a thought experiment with regard to how this applies to acceleration through space. He claimed that perception of time, relative to time on earth, slows down the closer one travels toward a black hole. The thought experiment concludes that an organism traveling as such would return to earth, in the future, having aged very little, while similar organisms on earth would have aged as expected. If we are to assume the perception of time progression as illusory, then the truth of reality could be such that, observed from an outside perspective, everything in our reality began and ended, was created and destroyed, started and finished without following the slow progression we experience. In this sense, the total of the reality experience is only perceived by our conscious awareness, in increments, as the progression of time, but time itself, would not be factual. Some researchers who are attempting to unify general relativity with quantum mechanics, are claiming just that. If this is the case, the foundational principles of all the “truths" related to evolution and reality would be negated. Without time progression as a given, perception of expansion and evolution would also be illusory.

What are your thoughts on this? Does this seem to imply intelligent design?
RE: Playing Reality like a Video Game?
No.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
I going to first to ask you something, for one who views are agnostic. Why are you seemingly attempting to promote intelligent design? I read a few of your other topics, and I sense a motive.
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
So..8 posts and 5 are new threads in a few minutes.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
you aren't as clever as you think you are.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Oh, bloody hell!

Can't you just stick to your first 7 fallacious threads instead of posting another one?

We come there for honest discussion and debate. Why did you come here?

You aren't even responding to any of the replies to your other threads.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(September 11, 2014 at 12:52 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Oh, bloody hell!

Can't you just stick to your first 7 fallacious threads instead of posting another one?

I am responding. How do you deem that I am not attempting to have honest discussion and debate?

I've been studying astrophysics, quantum physics, epigenetics for many years and I'm finding more that's leading me away from atheism than toward it. My intention here was to get other people's opinions, but it seems like rather than engaging in the debate, people want to call me an idiot. Maybe I'm confused and this is not a site for people who actually want to have intelligent conversation with other people with opposing viewpoints?
(September 11, 2014 at 1:37 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote:

I am responding. How do you deem that I am not attempting to have honest discussion and debate?

I've been studying astrophysics, quantum physics, epigenetics for many years and I'm finding more that's leading me away from atheism than toward it. My intention here was to get other people's opinions, but it seems like rather than engaging in the debate, people want to call me an idiot. Maybe I'm confused and this is not a site for people who actually want to have intelligent conversation with other people with opposing viewpoints?

It's certainly not a place where you can show up, spam new threads, then tell us exactly what we believe without attempting to engage us first, then get all huffy when people don't like it.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 11, 2014 at 1:37 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote:

As I've told you on several of your threads, you misunderstand what atheism is, then proceed to tell us what we believe instead of asking us. How is that honest?

The majority of posts to you by everyone here have been in response to your questions. Please point to a few that have called you an idiot.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(September 11, 2014 at 1:37 pm)sswhateverlove Wrote: I've been studying astrophysics, quantum physics, epigenetics for many years...

I have to call bullshit here. If this were true you would be much more forthright with evidence rather than just stating the fields of study and wave your hands towards unsubstantiated conclusions. There is nothing in your argumentation that suggests you are scientifically inclined. What I see is someone who doesn't understand the science behind the sciency language being used.

If you are sincere in having a discussion then I recommend providing the evidence you have been asked for by several people. Until you do this you are just stopping by to state your opinion. It has been noted and for most people here, it is unconvincing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are philosophers jealous lovers about reality? vulcanlogician 4 514 February 10, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3229 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 65034 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 6897 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does perfection in reality never contain any flaws ? The Wise Joker 55 9535 February 7, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Sal
  Are we all playing one giant videogame? Fake Messiah 23 2187 October 11, 2016 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 694 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
Exclamation Proof For The Materialization Of Dream Objects Into Reality A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 15 3900 August 19, 2015 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Preception and reality BrokenQuill92 13 2923 March 11, 2014 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  What is reality? Gooders1002 8 2864 February 9, 2014 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy