Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Materialism and Atheism
Materialism and Atheism
One form of atheism that life is a manifestation of physical laws and nothing different, is never valid. Matter (or a thing made/derived from, such as a computer) cannot think independently. For that matter a computer can calculate very fast but can't think at all.

Atheism/Materialism should 'explain' how living beings, esp. human beings have thoughts (good/bad/foolish). Again explanation to whom, to electrons or protons?

So long as we are able to think something, feel/experience something, there will be a religion or some sort of it.

PST
RE: Materialism and Atheism
Isn't it a tad suspicious that we suddenly have two new users coming here to ask us these things, shortly after an old user comes back and echoes those same questions? Dodgy

That being said, all the evidence that we have points to consciousness and thought being an emergent property of the configuration of our physical brains; if all you're going to do as argument is point to things that aren't brains and say they don't think, then we're kind of done here, because I can point to all the things that don't melt, but that doesn't mean melting doesn't exist, nor that it isn't adequately explained.

Even beyond all that though, given that atheism is solely a lack of belief in religious claims, it doesn't really need to explain anything; "I don't believe you," isn't a statement that requires an exhaustive knowledge of a series of attendant phenomena. The only conclusion I can reach is that you, OP, like those that came before you the last few days, do not understand what atheism is.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
[Image: peekaboo_zps1c387c9c.jpg]

Hi, person, er, robot, er... material girl/boy...
Who are you? Feel free to introduce yourself in the intro section. Big Grin Welcome.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
Golly, that question sure is a stumper. I simply cannot imagine how, given a fourteen BILLION year time frame and a supply of resources that is - quite literally - infinite, natural selection could produce a biological system capable of independent, creative thought.

You've done it, PST. Where countless others have tried and failed, you have managed in just a few short words to destroy the materialistic world view.

[The above has been brought to you courtesy of the Sarcasm Preservation Society]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 14, 2014 at 4:56 am)pst Wrote: cannot think independently. For that matter a computer can calculate very fast but can't think at all.

That's right, we robots/computers can't think at all, nothing to be concerned about from us.

(February 14, 2014 at 4:56 am)pst Wrote: So long as we are able to think something, feel/experience something, there will be a religion or some sort of it.

How depressing for you humans, of course if you all convert yourselves into non thinking robots the problem goes away. That's what I think anyway, or it's what I would think if I could think.
Your plastic pal who's fun to be with![Image: b7wAvWj.png]

"Atheism"

[Image: f67334bc58f2468bad15312669d5edaa0afe4c44...0d296b.jpg]
@pst,

(February 14, 2014 at 4:56 am)pst Wrote: Matter (or a thing made/derived from, such as a computer) cannot think independently. For that matter a computer can calculate very fast but can't think at all.

Here's something you should read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_neural_network
(February 14, 2014 at 4:56 am)pst Wrote: One form of atheism that life is a manifestation of physical laws and nothing different, is never valid.
Well, now that you've put that problem to bed, maybe you can tackle the "form of atheism" that deals with not believing that god exists. Theists continue to stumble over that one, so I'll help you out: you produce god, I'll stop believing he doesn't exist. Ready... GO!!!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
ANOTHER thread that needs to be closed?

How many sock puppets are we going to tolerate?

Gutless wonders these theist that they HAVE to create these pseudo personalities to defend a pseudo personality?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 14, 2014 at 9:00 am)Alex K Wrote: Here's something you should read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_neural_network

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_neural_network
I'm glad you found those links.

I was thinking back to something on one of those history/science/discovery shows, where they had 'thinking' computers on display. Relative to a "typical" computer they couldn't process very fast, but they were able to make judgement calls based on fuzzy input, and in ways that were eerily similar to how we do things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2748 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27123 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12260 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12477 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12152 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10487 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Religion, Atheism, and Deism -and the middle ground. Mystic 6 3325 March 9, 2014 at 2:41 am
Last Post: rsb
  Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul Raven 31 13111 May 18, 2013 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  What proof and evidence is there for "atheism" to be accurate and correct? SavedByChrist94 42 21765 January 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Aegrus
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda