Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 5, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questioning Darwin
Questioning Darwin
I just saw "Questioning Darwin" on HBO pretty much what I expected except for one thing. They said 46 % of people believe the creation story. This can't be true, aren't we living in the 21 century? I would like some Christians on this forum to please explain to me ( if they do believe in the creation story) how they can ignore evidence like a very old Earth, or how they can just dismiss evolution without really knowing what it is.
I thought, foolishly the numbers would be like 10% believe in the creation story not 46%. WTF

manowar
RE: Questioning Darwin
In other places in the world, the numbers are drastically lower. In America, though, we cling to ignorance like a fly clings to shit.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 17, 2014 at 1:03 pm)Manowar Wrote: how they can ignore evidence like a very old Earth, or how they can just dismiss evolution without really knowing what it is.

You see, there's this book...

ROFLOL
What evidence for evolution? Everyone knows that piltdown man was a fake. Big Grin
I was also suprised when i heard that something like 46% of Americans believe in creationism, because i live in Serbia and nobody here even knows what creationism is Big Grin
“ Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell "
I never thought I'd see the day when I would be envious of Serbians.
(February 17, 2014 at 1:03 pm)Manowar Wrote: I just saw "Questioning Darwin" on HBO pretty much what I expected except for one thing. They said 46 % of people believe the creation story. This can't be true, aren't we living in the 21 century? I would like some Christians on this forum to please explain to me ( if they do believe in the creation story) how they can ignore evidence like a very old Earth, or how they can just dismiss evolution without really knowing what it is.
I thought, foolishly the numbers would be like 10% believe in the creation story not 46%. WTF

manowar

Not all people who believe the the biblical story of creation believe in a young earth. Much controversy revolves around the use of the Hebrew word "yom" in the creation account. The Hebrew language had many fewer words than modern day languages and words had multiple meanings. Yom has several meanings, one of which was a 24-hour day. Some other meanings were a point of time or a general vague time, and some others definitions. If yom here means a general vague time, it would allow for an old earth interpretation. Although many creationists do believe in a young earth, many also believe in an old earth.
Enter Waldrorf and GC in 3, 2, 1...
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
In western Europe, I believe that about 80% of Christians accept evolution.

But then, they actually teach it in school.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(February 17, 2014 at 4:30 pm)Lek Wrote: Not all people who believe the the biblical story of creation believe in a young earth. Much controversy revolves around the use of the Hebrew word "yom" in the creation account. The Hebrew language had many fewer words than modern day languages and words had multiple meanings. Yom has several meanings, one of which was a 24-hour day. Some other meanings were a point of time or a general vague time, and some others definitions. If yom here means a general vague time, it would allow for an old earth interpretation. Although many creationists do believe in a young earth, many also believe in an old earth.

That's good, but if they took their faces out of the book and looked at the Universe around them, maybe there would be no further confusion.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 767 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheism, Darwin, and Internet Severan 12 2981 November 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Questioning My Religion udunson 26 5338 October 6, 2013 at 2:07 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Descrated Darwin Fish. Gawdzilla 15 5812 August 4, 2011 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Welsh cake
  SciAm: Darwin on a Godless Creation: "It's like confessing to a murder" leo-rcc 1 2701 February 16, 2009 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki
  Darwin at the Abbey - Petition ruperty 6 3865 December 6, 2008 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc