Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darwin at the Abbey - Petition
Darwin at the Abbey - Petition
Hi folks,

Can you help with a campaign I am running?

Would you like to see the life and work of Charles Darwin commemorated at Westminster Abbey to mark the 200th anniversary his birth? If so, I invite you to sign the following petition: (you do NOT need to be a British Citizen)

http://petitions.dogonism.org/Darwin.html

Here you can see more details of the petition, including links to why it was (unjustly) rejected from the 10 Downing St website and my communication with the Abbey.

Please do sign up, your support is vital.

Regards,
Rupert
http://www.dogonism.org
RE: Darwin at the Abbey - Petition
(December 6, 2008 at 5:22 pm)ruperty Wrote: Hi folks,

Can you help with a campaign I am running?

Would you like to see the life and work of Charles Darwin commemorated at Westminster Abbey to mark the 200th anniversary his birth? If so, I invite you to sign the following petition: (you do NOT need to be a British Citizen)

http://petitions.dogonism.org/Darwin.html

Here you can see more details of the petition, including links to why it was (unjustly) rejected from the 10 Downing St website and my communication with the Abbey.

Please do sign up, your support is vital.

Regards,
Rupert
http://www.dogonism.org
choice of venue??? bit suspect don't you think? Would a humanist venue not be more appropriate?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Well considering Darwin is buried at Westminster Abbey...
(December 6, 2008 at 5:45 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Well considering Darwin is buried at Westminster Abbey...

So what? Religion establishment " adopts " someone who is dangerous!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
I think the point of the petition is to have displays around his tomb so that people can go along for a day of Evolution Big Grin
(December 6, 2008 at 8:08 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I think the point of the petition is to have displays around his tomb so that people can go along for a day of Evolution Big Grin
Sounds cosily attractive, but my instinct tells me the religious establishment will win the day.
Something tells me the Church of England will be quite sympathetic to the idea since they had to apologize to Darwin already (better late than never I suppose). They got some stuff to make up.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 758 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Petition UK Government Xygov 1 629 September 27, 2021 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Remove Bishops from House of Lords - Petition Mr Greene 19 2090 February 9, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue. Catholic_Lady 373 56153 September 24, 2015 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  A plea for petition for Asia Bibi! TheMessiah 10 2481 February 18, 2015 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Questioning Darwin Manowar 30 5263 February 18, 2014 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Atheism, Darwin, and Internet Severan 12 2958 November 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Descrated Darwin Fish. Gawdzilla 15 5792 August 4, 2011 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Welsh cake
  Petition the BSA to change its policy of discrimination kopper 15 5577 April 24, 2011 at 1:31 am
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  SciAm: Darwin on a Godless Creation: "It's like confessing to a murder" leo-rcc 1 2701 February 16, 2009 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki