Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism, Darwin, and Internet
Atheism, Darwin, and Internet
I'm back, motherf***ers! (I bet you're glad that I'm back) (and I am writing this at breakfast listening to my grandma talk some religious crap.) I'm here to ask you all what influenced you to cease your belief in a god (if you are in fact non-religious) Was it evolution(or as religious people call it evilution), the internet, your parents, reading the facts OR ACTUALLY FUCKING READING THE BIBLE about that racist homophobic sacrificial violent god? This thread is meant for all of you to just let it all out. Speak your story of deconversion!
RE: Atheism, Darwin, and Internet
I'm not sure I ever really believed. I just remember hearing various bible stories when I was a child and thinking they were ridiculous. I didn't take them any more seriously than when I read charlie and the chocolate factory.
For me it was the observation of the assholy christians around me. I knew that if they had any connection at all to a "good" god, absolutely none of it was rubbing off.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(October 31, 2013 at 9:37 pm)Owlix Wrote: To me, the proof, the evidence, the reason I know there is no such thing as a god or many gods (which is part of a larger group of stuff I know to be untrue such as fairies, ghosts, demons, magical powers, spells, gnomes, elves for the shoemaker, etc.) is kind of a compilation of so many things I can't pin it down to one. Henceforth the above grouping of stuff will be referred to as - stuff

For instance;

I know all this stuff is very, very highly unlikely because of every unlikely situation I just stated above. I noticed all these things, learned these things, discovered these things, researched these things. All of this seen separately isn't a big deal. And then everything came together at once and I realized it's all connected in myth and fairy telling, albeit unintended.

But that's just me.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-21750-page-2.html
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.
For me it was a combination of two things.

As Brakeman stated, scrutinizing other believers around me and their obhorent behavior in the name of their so-called holy religion.

Reading some of Robert Green Ingersoll's works.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
There was no internet when I realized this god shit was exactly that and I read Origin of Species much later.....difficult to wade through mid 19th century prose but I made it.

Really, it is not so hard to see that "man created god" and not vice versa.
I don't think that we can know for sure either way, so agnosticism is a safe bet. Big Grin

I will say though, I came to realize all religions were man made, when the 'rules' of them changed like the wind. A Supreme Being doesn't have the qualities of a human, if one should exist, so it just seems like the work of man trying to make sense of what he doesn't know.
For me it was a long process but basically it was when I realized that everything people tell you isn't necessarily true.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Bump
Popcorn
(November 2, 2013 at 12:21 pm)Severan Wrote: I'm back, motherf***ers! (I bet you're glad that I'm back) (and I am writing this at breakfast listening to my grandma talk some religious crap.) I'm here to ask you all what influenced you to cease your belief in a god (if you are in fact non-religious) Was it evolution(or as religious people call it evilution), the internet, your parents, reading the facts OR ACTUALLY FUCKING READING THE BIBLE about that racist homophobic sacrificial violent god? This thread is meant for all of you to just let it all out. Speak your story of deconversion!

Why would you assume I "ceased" believing in god?

I NEVER believed in god. I was born atheist - as indeed was EVERYBODY - and nothing has happened to change that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2753 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 761 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The Internet is my refuge as an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 16 3362 November 21, 2017 at 6:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27168 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12297 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12497 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12162 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Religion, Atheism, and Deism -and the middle ground. Mystic 6 3326 March 9, 2014 at 2:41 am
Last Post: rsb
  Questioning Darwin Manowar 30 5265 February 18, 2014 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.