Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My essay on evolution vs creation.
My essay on evolution vs creation.
It's not necessarily evolution vs creation... the original question by my teacher was if it should be taught in classrooms(both), or neither at all. I'm not the best when it comes to debating, but I did try my best with the time that I had. I tried not to diverge on the whole debate about the existence a god because it's inappropriate and would stir up a ruckus in the class room.
I'm sort of ashamed to post this here, because I know some of you could potentially do better than I have. Anyways, here's the essay:

Code:
    I want to address something before I present my "Should evolution or creation be taught in school" argument. If you, or anyone else you know has ever said, "evolution is just a theory", what I hear is, "I don't understand the scientific term of theory, and I'm awfully ignorant."
     A scientific theory is a concoction of thoroughly evaluated evidence and comprises a collection of concepts, including abstractions of observable phenomena expressed as quantifiable properties together with rules (scientific law) that express relationships between observations of such concepts.
    A scientific theory is concocted to acquiesce to available empirical data about such observations (and is put forth as a principle or a body of principles for explaining a class of phenomena). A theory is a frame work of explaining a set of observed facts. Theory is the highest term in science, and has been tested to understood observed reality. When someone claims that evolution is just a theory, you might as well say that we're living in "just reality".
    Theory is the pinnacle. It's the height of science, and the goal of all hypothesis (to become an established theory). There are no competing theories with regard to the diversity of life. There is the theory of evolution, and then there are other surmises as to how life has come to be, such as creation. Creation has no evidence, hence why it's classified as a hypothesis.( At best) You must be able to test creation, and unfortunately, you can't. (At least not currently)

A theory can be personified as "I'm getting ready to graduate", while a hypothesis can be personified as, "I'm getting ready for pre-school, and I left my lunch at home."
    I believe anything backed and fully supported by scientists should be taught in public schools. I wish to believe as many true things and as many false things as possible. Would you want yourself or your future kids to be potentially indoctrinated with "lies"? Everyone is taught not to lie(and scolded for doing so), but does that rule go out of the window when it pertains to personal beliefs? It shouldn't - even though it does.
     The most popular misconception regarding evolution(addressing this to you, Mr.***)  is that only atheists believe it to be true, which is absolutely false. Many theists believe evolution to be true. Taken from a wikipedia page, Francis Collins describes theistic evolution as the position that "evolution is real, but it was set in motion by god", and theistic evolution, which accepts that evolution occurred as biologists describe it, but under the direction of god.
     Who says it isn't possible that the super natural being who supposedly created us didn't ultimately plan for evolution to take place? It's a wild claim, but it's not necessarily irrational.
    I am in no way attempting to amend anyone's beliefs, but rather inculcate those who are unaware of what's being instilled into them. Anyone with doubts or questions should watch the Bill Nye vs Ken Ham evolution vs creationism debate.

Note:
       the bible and/or the quran is NOT proof for creation.
    There is no graduation between theory and law
    A law is a descriptive generalization.
Same sex divorce should be outlawed. #StopTheGays
RE: My essay on evolution vs creation.
Is it normal in America to write essays in first person?
(February 21, 2014 at 9:50 am)Napoléon Wrote: Is it normal in America to write essays in first person?

I do it all the time.. Lawl
I used to as well, though I should add that it was decidedly nonstandard, there. The one subject that actually required longform essays- english- was one I could do in my sleep though, so it ended up becoming an exercise in what I could get away with and still get an A. Tongue

The scary part was that I never ended up finding a breaking point, even after I started really obviously quoting tv shows and shit like that. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(February 21, 2014 at 9:50 am)Napoléon Wrote: Is it normal in America to write essays in first person?

Depends really, in my college english courses they asked us not to. I pretty much never refer to myself, or I, unless the subject is about me.

On the actually essay it self, it was fine Yahweh, which I'm guessing your in high school? If I'm correct, then it's fine.
I was taught (in Florida no less) that 1st person essays are a big no no.

The essay was full of great information Yahweh, but you really didn't address the question of whether one, both, or neither should be taught in the classroom. I think it's clearly inferred what your stance is, but you should say it outright.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Just skimmed, but I don't think you meant to say you want to believe as many false things as possible. You want to NOT believe as many false things as possible.

We are narcissistical, not maglomanical. Therefore we write of ourselves in the first, rather than the third, person. Big Grin
(February 21, 2014 at 12:36 pm)Chuck Wrote: We are narcissistical, not maglomanical.

Ouch.Thinking
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 21, 2014 at 12:19 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Just skimmed, but I don't think you meant to say you want to believe as many false things as possible. You want to NOT believe as many false things as possible.

Yeah, I didn't have time to proof read it. Thanks to everyone else for their opinion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Genesis Creation vs. Darwin's Macroevolution Myth Alter2Ego 190 73584 August 23, 2013 at 6:14 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30307 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evolution V Creation Zen Badger 168 64522 January 20, 2013 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Need some help refuting this creation argument... DaveSumm 25 9913 January 12, 2013 at 7:16 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Creation Museum Manowar 55 21618 April 20, 2011 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: Thor
  Did man get here by evolution or by creation??? solja247 10 6069 April 7, 2011 at 9:43 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko