Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we look at death as a bad thing?
Lightbulb 
Why do we look at death as a bad thing?
-Why do we view at death as something bad?
-When people die why are everybody so sad,how do we know that this life is really something good and death is something bad?
-What is making us thinking that death is an bad thing,why don't we just accept it as a part of life?
-Why are people so caught up in thinking what comes after death? Why does it seem that we want to live for ever? Is there any neurological explanation for this.

Excuse my English.

Any replay is welcome this topic has been bugging me for a while so I would really appreciate if someone would share their view on this theme.
RE: Why do we look at death as a bad thing?
We fear death cuz we don't know for sure what is after it , and thats where religion comes in to fill the gap for the scared weak-minded people .

We want to exist , feel and live . death is simply the non-existence which sucks .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
I have long toiled with the finality of death and came to the conclusion that much of my reliance upon religion was demonstrative of my necessity to hide from the inevitability death.

Simply put, I do not want to be away from those that I love - whether they leave me, or vice versa.

However, this is both a childish and selfish notion since physical beings have ceased for millions of years and that, to consider myself an exception, would be terrifically arrogant.

It also means that, instead of concerning myself with the possibilities that await me after this life, I instead focus upon making sure that every second is spent making my wife and daughters extremely happy and demonstrating to them that there are not three other people in this world that I would rather share my brief glimmer of an existence with than they.

They are my eternity, after all.
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
(February 22, 2014 at 7:33 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: We fear death cuz we don't know for sure what is after it , and thats where religion comes in to fill the gap for the scared people .

We want to exist , feel and live . death is simply the non-existence which sucks .

but why do we want to know whats after death as Epicurus stated:
Why should I fear death? If I am death is not,If death is I am Not,Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not.
(February 22, 2014 at 7:27 pm)FractalEternalWheel Wrote: -Why do we view at death as something bad?

Because normally it is a bad thing. Sometimes it's not like when someone is old, in great pain, and cannot be cured.

(February 22, 2014 at 7:27 pm)FractalEternalWheel Wrote: -When people die why are everybody so sad,how do we know that this life is really something good and death is something bad?

Because we'll miss them. In the absence of all life I don't think death is a bad thing. In a social species though, death is a very bad thing. You leave people behind without you.

(February 22, 2014 at 7:27 pm)FractalEternalWheel Wrote: -What is making us thinking that death is an bad thing,why don't we just accept it as a part of life?

We can both accept it and try our best to delay it as long as possible.

(February 22, 2014 at 7:27 pm)FractalEternalWheel Wrote: -Why are people so caught up in thinking what comes after death?

Ego probably. Or fear. It's hard to imagine a world without your existence. Superficially it's easy to imagine, but to really grasp it... well it's difficult.

(February 22, 2014 at 7:27 pm)FractalEternalWheel Wrote: Why does it seem that we want to live for ever?

I've known older members of my family that were ready to die in their twilight days. They were over the idea of living.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(February 22, 2014 at 7:37 pm)FractalEternalWheel Wrote:
(February 22, 2014 at 7:33 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote: We fear death cuz we don't know for sure what is after it , and thats where religion comes in to fill the gap for the scared people .

but why do we want to know whats after death as Epicurus stated:
Why should I fear death? If I am death is not,If death is I am Not,Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not.

good point , but the thing that scares the most is that you DO NOT exist , not what is after it .
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
To not exist, would seem intrinsically at odds with the way in which I have lived most of my life...
[Image: atheist_zpsbed2d91b.png]
We fear pain, and we know sadness from loss. It's entirely egocentric and fully human. Death in the wider scheme of things is a good thing. Nature functions on it.

I care little about after death. I remember people who have died and what they might think and do. Rarely I'll get caught up in superstitious thought and imagine them being able to see me. Some say this is the root of religious interest. Maybe so.
-Why do we view death as something bad?

I know, right? And most people haven't even tried it.
(February 22, 2014 at 7:41 pm)Marsellus Wallace Wrote:
(February 22, 2014 at 7:37 pm)FractalEternalWheel Wrote: but why do we want to know whats after death as Epicurus stated:

good point , but the thing that scares the most is that you DO NOT exist , not what is after it .

but our existence is consisted of suffering and pleasure now I have an great life, I'm an happy person,... but still why do we see fear when we think of our non-existence we will not exists we will not feel anything we will not have any problems,... why is this bad thing?

Also we are the universe we are made of the elements that are found in the starts like when we die our atoms will still be in this universe they will still be present here

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can too much respect be bad? Fake Messiah 48 4508 January 14, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: roofinggiant
  Technology, Good or Bad Overall? ColdComfort 41 5684 July 7, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Emotions are intrinsically good and bad Transcended Dimensions 713 106997 February 25, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Name one objectively bad person ErGingerbreadMandude 57 14923 October 16, 2017 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3668 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What does your Utopia look like? Excited Penguin 37 2988 September 16, 2016 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Is developing a strong habit of philosophizing bad for your social skills? Edwardo Piet 31 4097 May 25, 2016 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Gemini
  Necessary Thing Ignorant 204 20509 April 24, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: J a c k
Smile a bad person Sappho 30 5015 December 8, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The bad guy Marsellus Wallace 18 5228 July 28, 2015 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace