Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name one objectively bad person
Name one objectively bad person
Before you answer, can you name one objectively good person? You probably cannot. Whether what you do is good or not is highly subjective.

So what about racism... rape, genocide, child molesters? Are they not objectively bad? I think they are.

So what we're getting at is that there are indeed objectively bad people ..could that mean that there could be a standard for objective good as well but we just don't know it yet?...and most of all...could this mean there indeed is an objective morality after all?
RE: Name one objectively bad person
I'd say bad/good cannot be objective. These are always subjective IMO
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(October 11, 2017 at 2:07 pm)pool the matey Wrote: Before you answer, can you name one objectively good person? You probably cannot. Whether what you do is good or not is highly subjective.

So what about racism... rape, genocide, child molesters? Are they not objectively bad? I think they are.

So what we're getting at is that there are indeed objectively bad people ..could that mean that there could be a standard for objective good as well but we just don't know it yet?...and most of all...could this mean there indeed is an objective morality after all?

I sure can name one objectively good person. 

My daughter Jordan. She has down syndrome and doesn't give a shit about skin color or being mean to someone or doing harm or anything like that. She's just an all around good, decent, kind person. And she gives out free hugs too. Not a mean bone in her body. 

One objectively bad person: The Orange Shit Gibbon currently serving as POTUS.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I've never liked summing up people in terms of 'good' or 'bad' or 'evil', because that's a gross oversimplification of someone's entire character and life actions.

It reminds me of Ken Ham's line of reasoning when it comes to lying: if you have ever told a lie once in your life, you are now known as 'a liar' according to him. Identifying someone as a 'bad person' because they have done some bad things in their life is equally as simplistic, as it overlooks any good things they've done (and vice versa).
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Bad Person: H. H. Holmes.

Good Person: Thích Nhất Hạnh
(October 11, 2017 at 2:07 pm)pool the matey Wrote: Before you answer, can you name one objectively good person? You probably cannot. Whether what you do is good or not is highly subjective.

That wouldn't be much of a revelation to objective moral theorists.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'll give it a go.

[Image: trump-640x426.jpg]

I cannot think of a single redeeming quality that this piece of shit has.
Pool, if we were to say 'rape is subjectively bad', what would it lose in strength?
Whether we deem something bad or good is based on the value we give to it.
And just about everybody deems rape bad, in our cultures. Anyone raped surely deem it bad, in their experience.
What would some underlying core 'truth' beyond human understanding matter if we deem it wrong and judge, condone and punish it out of our viewpoint that it is 'bad'?
If our understanding leads our subjective minds to concider it wrong, the hypothetical standard beyond our understanding that we can't 'know' doesn't matter because we still think its wrong.
Concider it like this: What if there was an objective moral standard and it turned out that according to that objective morality rape would be fine, as creeded by the hypothetical God that embodies that morality and 'perfection'. Would you then start raping? I'd have trouble with that, because I would subjectively still think rape is wrong.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
While I'm not sure why an objective morality would be beyond human understanding, the point of practicality is spot on.  Similarly, a moral proposition taken to be a subjective proposition loses all of it's strength as a proposition which informs us of truth...but none of it;s strength as the opinion which informs us as to what action we should take if some asshole does x.

The drive, imo, in finding an objective morality is immensely helpful though. It would give us a means to seperate those things that were bad because of some objective fact..and those things that are only taken to be bad by a certain subset of people. We punish people based on those judgements. Think of chemical castration or imprisonment for gays. It might be nice to find out what terrible things were doing to people...just because we have an opinion. The perils of a subjective morality are very...very...very well expressed in human history, and particularly in our various religions.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
jesus? mohammed? abraham? moses? j smith? lr hubbard? zoroastor? .........
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 6685 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pride (In The Name Of) Angrboda 8 673 September 6, 2022 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Can too much respect be bad? Fake Messiah 48 4489 January 14, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: roofinggiant
  Technology, Good or Bad Overall? ColdComfort 41 5662 July 7, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Emotions are intrinsically good and bad Transcended Dimensions 713 104396 February 25, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2033 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3651 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is developing a strong habit of philosophizing bad for your social skills? Edwardo Piet 31 4042 May 25, 2016 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Gemini
  Would you kill the person who is about to kill? brewer 63 8161 December 10, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
Smile a bad person Sappho 30 5005 December 8, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic