Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Pascal really think about it?
Did Pascal really think about it?
greetings forum,

I can't help but wonder if old man Blaise just stuck his fingers in his ears and sung loudly whenever a strong argument was put against his wager. Did he ponder that there is a probability of him being completely wrong and there might be a god who will punish him for everything that he believed in?

A god completely different to his dearly held christian beliefs? there is also a probability of a god who would punish people for arbitrary things. I don't see the utility of the argument in light of the fact there are potentially an infinite number (or at least a ridiculously large number) of probable modes of action a possible deity could take.

Sorry if this is more to do with philosophy, I posted it here because it seemed relevant. All of your thoughts will be appreciated.

cheers

edit: Sorry if posting this topic is beating a dead horse,
I haven't read other views on the forum.
RE: Did Pascal really think about it?
This may be wildly inaccurate but I heard somewhere that his infamous wager might have been a parody of religious arguments, in a similar way that Schrödinger's cat was intended to show the 'absurdity' of quantum mechanics (at least as it pertains to the macro world).
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
lol, I do hope that is the case, from what I've read it seems like he would've been a bright guy.
Then again, he was a catholic so dumb comes naturally.
There's an underlying assumption that belief is a choice. I can't believe in something against all that I know.

P4K
And yet Pascal's Wager still has many fans. (my brother recently posted on Facebook an article on it by Catholic philosopher Peter Kreeft.. who still thinks it is somehow a powerful or even interesting argument).
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(February 24, 2014 at 1:59 am)Minimalist Wrote: Then again, he was a catholic so dumb comes naturally.

Pascal was a genius of the first order. To imply that his off-again-on-again Catholicism made 'dumb' his natural state displays a stunning ignorance of his contributions to mathematics and physics.

Yes, his Wager his a hideously flawed argument, filled with holes you could drive an articulated lorry through, but so what?

Study up on Pascal. He was anything but 'dumb'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 24, 2014 at 1:05 am)Psychonaut Wrote: I can't help but wonder if old man Blaise just stuck his fingers in his ears and sung loudly whenever a strong argument was put against his wager.
No. Like Stimbo says, his 'wager' was most likely meant as a joke. The fact that so many people take it seriously it testament to Poe's law.
Sum ergo sum
(February 24, 2014 at 5:50 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 24, 2014 at 1:59 am)Minimalist Wrote: Then again, he was a catholic so dumb comes naturally.

Pascal was a genius of the first order. To imply that his off-again-on-again Catholicism made 'dumb' his natural state displays a stunning ignorance of his contributions to mathematics and physics.

Yes, his Wager his a hideously flawed argument, filled with holes you could drive an articulated lorry through, but so what?

Study up on Pascal. He was anything but 'dumb'.

Boru

Even if his wager was meant as a serious argument, instead of trollbait, it would only be an example of dumb in the religious sense. Pascal was indeed a genius, but how many other bright individuals have had a blindspot where religion - or some other intellectual short-circuit - is concerned? Newton's contributions to physics is incalculable, but he was still a practising alchemist. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, while arguably a literary genius, still wanted desperately to believe in fairies.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 24, 2014 at 10:01 am)Ben Davis Wrote:
(February 24, 2014 at 1:05 am)Psychonaut Wrote: I can't help but wonder if old man Blaise just stuck his fingers in his ears and sung loudly whenever a strong argument was put against his wager.
No. Like Stimbo says, his 'wager' was most likely meant as a joke. The fact that so many people take it seriously it testament to Poe's law.

Yeah, it does have this tongue-in-cheek vibe, the kind of joke a mathematician would come up with to illustrate a concept.

It could work as an argument against deconversion outreach Smile
However, in the eyes of the true God, being an atheist might be better
than having the wrong God, so maybe not so much after all...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did they really find Noah's Ark? Jasper 19 1512 May 25, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Really makes you think Astonished 7 1926 September 25, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4428 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Pascal's wager: Why is anyone dumb enough to use it Lemonvariable72 6 3242 May 12, 2014 at 11:27 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Pascal's wager redux..... max-greece 23 7292 September 16, 2013 at 9:10 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  What should replace Pascal's wager in my opinion. Mystic 34 16485 August 29, 2012 at 4:53 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Irritation with "meaningless life" claims and "Pascal's Wager"... hoppimike 14 5711 June 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: hoppimike