Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
becoming pescetarian
becoming pescetarian
I am thinking of switching my diet to become a pescetarian (for a number of reasons) on a student budget, does anybody have any tips?
Note: I am not becoming vegatarian or vegan as I could not eat just plants.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: becoming pescetarian
Quote:I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.
A. Whitney Brown
I would go slowly and your taste buds/ body will be worth listening to. Increase you fish intake per week and see how you go. You may find you still need one meat meal a week to maintain health.

Good luck.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 24, 2014 at 10:27 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: I would go slowly and your taste buds/ body will be worth listening to. Increase you fish intake per week and see how you go. You may find you still need one meat meal a week to maintain health.

Good luck.

That would probably be my first tip. Don't make any drastic changes, since those rarely work.

Personally I just try to limit food that's bad for you. I'd love to just be able to buy cake and ice cream and eat that all day, every day, but I can't. Not that I didn't accidentally start doing that kind of thing soon after I moved out.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Oh and one other point Gooders.
Daughter is a Uni student, understands the need for good nutrition, but isn't obsessed by it, the following are some of her food preferences (note: she has Thalassemia minor)

Tins of fish. Here in Oz we have "individual portion" size canned fish. Tuna and Salmon done with varieties of flavourings.... Chilli, Olive oil, etc. They are relatively inexpensive and when teamed with a good salad and some bread, make for a very satisfying lunch or quick dinner.

Tins of shredded Chicken. Same as above.

Premade salads, Greek is a favourite, often purchased either for lunch or on the way home from classes for dinner.

You will probably need to get very aquatinted with you groceries supplier (Woolworths here) that provide single 'Dinner for One' ready made meals and sort out just what fits your budget best.

Daughter doesn't like the Fish'nChip type of fish mostly because of the oil used and can't bring herself to eat Lamb. She will however eat very lean steak... We call it Sandwich steak (that isn't too expensive) or you might know it as "Skirt Steak" and of course she loves ham off the bone, but has trouble with some pork cuts.
Through all of this she strives to have a 1:2 ratio of meat to veggies which I think is sensible. All on a uni-students budget.

Anyway, the above is to illustrate that go with what you feel you would like to eat and before you know it your diet will have changed and hopefully your issues will be minimalised.

Oh, and don't forget to lash out and get that sweet treat when the finances allow.

It really is all about balance mate.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:Here in Oz we have "individual portion" size canned fish.

We have those here too, Kichi. Of course years ago they were big enough to feed a whole family.

The corporate criminals make the cans smaller but keep the price the same. These days you're lucky if you can make a sandwich out of a can.
Cheers for the tips.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are we becoming a masked society? Foxaèr 21 784 June 24, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  As you age, do you find yourself becoming more or less irritable? Foxaèr 48 8400 May 4, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Video The first time since becoming an atheist that I'm kind of mad at JaclynGlenn. IanHulett 2 823 October 4, 2015 at 12:49 am
Last Post: IanHulett
  Israel becoming increasingly racist towards minorities. Something completely different 9 2637 June 8, 2013 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Becoming a priest for the money? Giff 11 5305 April 8, 2009 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: fr0d0