Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appalachians: a culture of survival
Appalachians: a culture of survival
The Appalachians: A culture of survival

password and username: montgomery

I hate country music, but if you like it, then you might enjoy this video of the history of country music and the Appalachians. I'm currently am writing a paper on it for my American Music course.

The video it self wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be.
RE: Appalachians: a culture of survival
Just curious, did you have a choice regarding the paper's topic? Jazz is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of American music. I would love to read your paper when finished provided you're willing to share. I'm interested to see what your research uncovers.
RE: Appalachians: a culture of survival
I wish I could have chosen, I probably would have went with blues.

I prob wont share, mainly because all that was asked was a summary of the paper, and only 2 pages needed. I kind of slapped it together, enough to get a decent grade. Currently I have a 98 in the class, and this paper only being worth 10 points, so I didn't put much into it rather then what was needed.

I do think the only interesting thing worth sharing would be my opinion how the early Appalachian string bands sounded quite similar to the early African American music. The banjo was brought over by the slaves, so there's that, but there's also a sound of despair and hardship in music. Obviously the levels of which are quite different, but the way it was used in the music was very similar.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iro's pop culture articles Iroscato 14 1530 February 2, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  A global culture to fight extremism leo-rcc 7 2284 August 8, 2011 at 9:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger