Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could you climb Mt Everest every day?
Could you climb Mt Everest every day?
Just got finished watching another incredible show on science on the National Geographic Channel. "Light The Ocean". Our ocean currents are extremely complex and give rise to the extremely tiny microscopic food sources that without a churning ocean, or currents life on this planet would not have evolved to such a complex degree. One of the more amazing things to me is how tiny our surface mountains are compared to the underwater mountain ranges. Everest is a midget compared to the height of some of these underwater ranges.

One underwater canyon as deep as the grand canyon provides a haven for krill in the Monterey California bay. These tiny species feed on the surface at night but basically swim to the bottom during the day for cover, because the bottom is dark. They do this EVERY day, the equal distance of a human climbing Mt Everest. Our planet is amazing.

I think it is much more awe inspiring to know all this was not caused and simply a giant weather pattern. To think of this as being a product of a magic man cheapens the reality that we really are lucky, even with all the bad that happens. To think of all the variables in the history of this planet, one meteor here or there, or no impact causing the moon, and life never would have happened. Reality is much more fucking awesome than stupid comic books humans make to placate their childish emotions.
RE: Could you climb Mt Everest every day?
If I evolved to climb (or swim) the equivalent of Mt. Everest every day, then yes, I could do it.

And, yes, reality is awesome. Smile
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
When I think about the ocean, one thing which always fascinates me is how incredibly huge and deep the Marianas trench is.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(March 19, 2014 at 5:38 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: When I think about the ocean, one thing which always fascinates me is how incredibly huge and deep the Marianas trench is.

Absolutely - just sad we haven't explored it more - heaven knows what's living down there. We've only seen glimpses and there's some weird shit.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" Foxaèr 1 320 September 10, 2018 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Genius Edward Witten, could he help to intensify artificial intelligence research? ThoughtCurvature 1 1007 September 5, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I have a hypothesis on how computers could gain sentience Won2blv 21 6463 March 26, 2017 at 8:08 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  do you think that things will be like star trek one day? atheist04330 75 12860 August 16, 2014 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Star Milky Way Could Contain 100 Million Planets with Complex Life MountainsWinAgain 3 1260 June 1, 2014 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  If you could have a science lesson... Jacob(smooth) 11 5100 December 20, 2013 at 8:55 am
Last Post: popeyespappy