Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milky Way Could Contain 100 Million Planets with Complex Life
Star 
Milky Way Could Contain 100 Million Planets with Complex Life
Quote:-In 1961, Frank Drake set out his formula for estimating the number of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy. A new study from the University of Texas at El Paso looks to improve on Drake’s estimate by studying data from more than 1,000 exoplanets for a number of factors, and the number they came up with is enormous

-The new study was authored by Louis Irwin and ranks the exoplanets with a “biological complexity index,” a number the researchers assigned by looking at parameters like the exoplanets’ distance from their star, temperature, density, age, and chemistry. All the factors of the “biological complexity index” are ones thought key to a planet supporting life.

-Only 1% to 2% of the exoplanets looked at in the study scored a high enough “biological complexity index” to be good candidates for complex life. That seems like a low result, but when applied to the vastness of space it’s still huge.

-If there are estimated 10 billion stars in the Milky Way, and each star has at least one planet, then that means 100 million planets could score a “biological complexity index” score high enough to make them likely to support life.

100 million planets!!
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

-Douglas Adams
RE: Milky Way Could Contain 100 Million Planets with Complex Life
10 billion stars in the milky way? There's at least 100 billion.

On the other hand, I'd bet that less than 1% of planets can support complex life. Perhaps far less.
(June 1, 2014 at 2:56 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: 10 billion stars in the milky way? There's at least 100 billion.

On the other hand, I'd bet that less than 1% of planets can support complex life. Perhaps far less.

Since our empirical experience with complex life is limited to exactly one biochemical lineage, and our fundamental understanding of complex biochemistry is still far too sketchy to be able to predicting a priori, as oppose to merely describe ex post, most biochemical processes that made our one biochemical lineage, I would hesitate to say just how many places (not necessarily just planets) can support complex life.

I saw one theoretical model which suggests high temperature (millions of degrees) fast paced (metabolic reactions a million times faster than life on earth) iron based biochemistry and complex life ought to be theoretically possible on the extremely high gravity, high pressure environment on the surface of neutron stars.
Yeah - point taken. It's fairly speculative at this point - until we know more, I'm sticking with wagering that complex life requiring a fairly narrow band of conditions. Despite that, it seems that life ought to have arisen a great many times. 100 million planets with complex life seems optimistic.

Yep, I realize that this is an argument from ignorance - or would be, were I making an argument. :p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The world's population should be at most 50 million. A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 78 4833 October 17, 2018 at 10:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What the Sun looks like from the other planets A Theist 25 3760 July 21, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Genius Edward Witten, could he help to intensify artificial intelligence research? ThoughtCurvature 1 1013 September 5, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why smart machines are a threat to the way humanity currently exists ThoughtCurvature 3 890 September 5, 2017 at 5:08 am
Last Post: ThoughtCurvature
  I have a hypothesis on how computers could gain sentience Won2blv 21 6506 March 26, 2017 at 8:08 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Seven temperate terrestrial planets around the nearby ultracool dwarf star TRAPPIST-1 pocaracas 52 7204 February 25, 2017 at 1:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hangover free alcohol on the way downbeatplumb 48 6187 September 24, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Life comes from life Won2blv 16 3008 April 7, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The Only Way To Stop A Bad Guy With A Club Minimalist 5 1272 January 21, 2016 at 2:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The milky way galaxy dyresand 25 3909 October 24, 2014 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: vorlon13