Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Controversy in North Carolina
Atheist Controversy in North Carolina
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/200.../912080327

A state councilman is an atheist and now people are trying to remove him based on a clause in North Carolina's law that states you cannot hold office and deny the existence of God.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Atheist Controversy in North Carolina
It's a stupid rule, nothing I can do about it though.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(December 15, 2009 at 10:59 am)leo-rcc Wrote: It's a stupid rule, nothing I can do about it though.

Well, the US constitution overrules the state laws. The supremacy rule specifically states that when a law comes in direct conflict with a national one, the national one wins. And given the 1st (Freedom of religion, seperation of church and state) and 6th (No religious litmus test to hold office), legally they can't remove him.

But it goes to show that even with these laws, atheists cannot get into a high public office. Massachusetts has a blasphemy law that is not enforced.

Rachel Maddow discussed it too:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/vp/...3#34424043

She mentioned that atheists are a popular group to beat up on.

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I am not a US citizen, so nothing I can do about it. If this comes up in Dutch politics, I will be the first one on the barricades.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I understand, I'm just providing information. -_^

Of course, and I'm glad you do. I still find it ridiculous that these kinds of rules ever got entered into the lawbooks anyway.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
Thanks for that post E it just goes to show that even in today's modern day and age we are still shrouded in a cloud of ignorance from our past. I see two things here actually; one is that it seems like Mr. Bothwells opponent whoever he/she may be is using this as a political ploy to have him removed so that he/she may obtain office. Second, this is a clear cut case of discrimination which to my knowledge is illegal in these United States.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

The sad part is that despite this or any similar attempt being shot down by the US Constitution and the Supreme Court, these people will never amend that section in the state constitution because a lot of them think it's just.
- Meatball
You beat me to it. Sorry I posted a similar thread. Please disregardSmile
binnyCoffee
That is true meatball they will most likely keep that law on their constitution since it appears that the state itself is a "god fearing" state where christians are a majority.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  North Sea oil LinuxGal 7 567 September 4, 2023 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 6777 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Is North Korea just insane? Renug 6 1414 May 29, 2017 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  North Korea executed 5 security officials, South Korea says KUSA 32 4935 March 2, 2017 at 7:16 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  New Clinton email controversy A Theist 394 54459 November 9, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Kosh
  North Korea Endorses Trump Sterben 4 762 June 1, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: abaris
  Should North America get tougher on its citizens like Singapore? 1994Californication 7 1284 March 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  So Carolina Flag Debate Begins.... Minimalist 14 3040 July 14, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  North Korea releases 2 more prisoners. Brian37 32 5985 November 10, 2014 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Another lie about the north korea exposed! Mrdeepthinker 20 2634 August 25, 2014 at 9:56 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb