Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists discover Super Earth!
Exclamation 
Scientists discover Super Earth!
Wow, great news! This is only the first of many Smile That's the best part about it.

Astronomers have discovered a new Earth-like planet that is larger than our own and may be more than half covered with water, according to a study published Wednesday in the science journal Nature.
The so-called "super Earth" is about 42 light years away in another solar system and has a radius nearly 2.7 times larger than that of our planet

The "newfound world" is too hot to sustain life as we know it, said the Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics in a statement.

Its density suggests however it "is composed of about three-fourths water and other ices and one fourth-rock," it said. "There are also tantalising hints that the planet has a gaseous atmosphere."

Its temperature is estimated at between 280 and 120 degrees Celsius (536 and 248 degrees Fahrenheit) with its host star about one-fifth the size of the Sun, according to the scientists.
"Despite its hot temperature, this appears to be a waterworld,"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091216/sc_...eastronomy
RE: Scientists discover Super Earth!
Awesome find for science Big Grin
Does that mean, that all of the water on the planet boils? lol How would we get there? Have a spacecraft travel there suited to encompass life for many generations before arrival?

But yet, an awesome blossom find for science! Big Grin
--- RDW, 17
"Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan
"I don't believe in [any] god[s]. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason." - Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut
[Image: truthyellow.jpg]
(December 17, 2009 at 5:50 pm)littlegrimlin1 Wrote: Does that mean, that all of the water on the planet boils? lol How would we get there? Have a spacecraft travel there suited to encompass life for many generations before arrival?

Well it would take 42 years traveling at the speed of light to get there so very slowly i guessTongue
(December 17, 2009 at 5:50 pm)littlegrimlin1 Wrote: Does that mean, that all of the water on the planet boils? lol How would we get there? Have a spacecraft travel there suited to encompass life for many generations before arrival?

The article said, "Berta said some of the water would likely be in crystalline form that exists at pressures greater than 20,000 times Earth's sea-level atmosphere."

I'm not sure if the article is saying that the planets atmospheric pressure is 20,000 times Earth, but if that is the case then the water has a possibility of not boiling. Liquids boil when their vapor pressure equals atmospheric, so the water's vapor pressure (influenced by temperature) would have to be really high. I'm not sure of the calculation for the boiling point off the top of my head.
Doesn't matter how hot it is, if it has liquid water on it's surface then there's a chance for life. They might be peering at our planet and saying "It's got water but it's far too cold for life" Dodgy

After all, life will find a way..
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Just look at it like a pressure cooker. This super earth is much larger than our earth so the gravitational forces are also a lot higher. This pulls both on the water and the surrounding atmosphere creating pressure cooker conditions. This makes the boiling point of the water rise.

On Earth life has been found in water near the vents of underwater volcanoes in mega hot water, in acidic surroundings, or in the exact opposite, extreme cold or total darkness. Whenever life gets a chance to adapt to its surroundings, it will.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(December 18, 2009 at 3:19 am)Darwinian Wrote: Doesn't matter how hot it is, if it has liquid water on it's surface then there's a chance for life. They might be peering at our planet and saying "It's got water but it's far too cold for life" Dodgy

After all, life will find a way..

Somebody watched Jurassic park one too many times... Smile

Oh wait... that was me Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
so this is a bit like planet x or something? if i were a scientist i would be working on a huge space station big enough to breed on the way to the planet for the next forty two years travelling at light speed, but only a few people can fit in so the population would have to be controlled by killing everyone when they got to the age of thirty, wich could be identified by the flashing wierd light in thier hand!..... oh wait, trailing off to logans run there.. still a good idea Smile
Vampires will never hurt you.......Devil
(December 18, 2009 at 2:36 am)Zhalentine Wrote: I'm not sure of the calculation for the boiling point off the top of my head.

Calculation I know not of. The boiling point of water is 212 °F or 100 °C. Part of this I found from wiki.
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 559 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25132 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 809 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 581 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4353 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7315 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3897 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Requesting help from scientists/astronomers on the forum. vulcanlogician 32 6334 January 21, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What are the rationalizations of flat earth believers? ErGingerbreadMandude 48 6824 January 20, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  "Super" Moon tonight! Jehanne 6 1001 December 4, 2017 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Sterben