Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lesbians not liking men - Social construct?
Lesbians not liking men - Social construct?
It's common knowledge that gay men are very open to the idea of being friends with straight females. In fact, gay men are well known for being very friendly indeed with straight women. This is why the term "fag hag" has become a thing.

By contrast, I have never observed, neither on tv nor with my own eyes, any instance of a lesbian woman having any interest in friendships with men, let alone the kind of close friendships that gays tend to have with straight women.

Indeed, I have observed gay men being approached by women, and the interaction turned very friendly very fast. By contrast, I have seen a few times men approaching lesbians who were spoken to appallingly and very rudely.

So my question is mainly for those people here who like to believe that nature is a social construct. My question is :

Is the fact that lesbians by and large don't like men a social construct too? Should that be stamped out also?

I'm sure there will be some of you who just happen to know about a huge number of exceptions, but my question is for those of you who choose to be honest.

Thanks for your time. I look forward to your intelligent comments.
RE: Lesbians not liking men - Social construct?
(March 30, 2014 at 3:50 pm)JesusChristIsLord69 Wrote: It's common knowledge that gay men are very open to the idea of being friends with straight females. In fact, gay men are well known for being very friendly indeed with straight women. This is why the term "fag hag" has become a thing.

By contrast, I have never observed, neither on tv nor with my own eyes, any instance of a lesbian woman having any interest in friendships with men, let alone the kind of close friendships that gays tend to have with straight women.

Indeed, I have observed gay men being approached by women, and the interaction turned very friendly very fast. By contrast, I have seen a few times men approaching lesbians who were spoken to appallingly and very rudely.

So my question is mainly for those people here who like to believe that nature is a social construct. My question is :

Is the fact that lesbians by and large don't like men a social construct too? Should that be stamped out also?

I'm sure there will be some of you who just happen to know about a huge number of exceptions, but my question is for those of you who choose to be honest.

Thanks for your time. I look forward to your intelligent comments.

I think that you are wrong about lesbians hating men, that's a stereotype not a reality. Not only do I have a couple of Lesbian friends but I've never actually met a man-hating lesbian. You think that being honest is somehow agreeing with a stereotype yet you cite not knowing any lesbians being friendly towards men because of T.V. Really? T.V.

Maybe you should reexamine how you collect your information.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Yeah I think what your talking about is a misconception. The only lesbians that I've ever seen react horribly to men are what would be the stereotypical hard line feminist lesbians. But for the most part lesbians are a lot of fun to hang around with. And I think a lot of lesbians like hanging out with guys too. I'm friends with a few and my aunt is lesbian as well, and its almost like hanging around with a guy. Talk some shit, sports, etc.
(March 30, 2014 at 4:39 pm)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: Yeah I think what your talking about is a misconception. The only lesbians that I've ever seen react horribly to men are what would be the stereotypical hard line feminist lesbians. But for the most part lesbians are a lot of fun to hang around with. And I think a lot of lesbians like hanging out with guys too. I'm friends with a few and my aunt is lesbian as well, and its almost like hanging around with a guy. Talk some shit, sports, etc.

Well there you go. Like you say, there are hard line feminist lesbians. But the truth is that lesbians generally don't like men. How often have you heard of hardline gay woman-haters? How often have you heard of a gay man disliking women? Why is there such as term as fag hag yet no equivalent for men? It's because by and large, lesbians don't like men. They want nothing to do with men.

How often have you heard of a straight woman going to a gay bar and being welcomed? How often have you heard of a straight man going to a lesbian bar and being welcomed? How often have you heard of a lesbian referring to her straight male friend that she hangs out with a lot? It just doesn't happen because lesbians mostly don't like men's company at all.
(March 30, 2014 at 4:52 pm)JesusChristIsLord69 Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 4:39 pm)FlyingNarwhal Wrote: Yeah I think what your talking about is a misconception. The only lesbians that I've ever seen react horribly to men are what would be the stereotypical hard line feminist lesbians. But for the most part lesbians are a lot of fun to hang around with. And I think a lot of lesbians like hanging out with guys too. I'm friends with a few and my aunt is lesbian as well, and its almost like hanging around with a guy. Talk some shit, sports, etc.

Well there you go. How often have you heard of a gay man disliking women? Why is there such as term as fag hag yet no equivalent for men? It's because by and large, lesbians don't like men. They want nothing to do with men.

How often have you heard of a straight woman going to a gay bar and being welcomed? How often have you heard of a straight man going to a lesbian bar and being welcomed? How often have you heard of a lesbian referring to her straight male friend that she hangs out with a lot? It just doesn't happen because lesbians mostly don't like men's company at all.

Do you actually know any lesbians or is this just what you heard on the television? None of what you said is 'by and large' true.
(March 30, 2014 at 4:53 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(March 30, 2014 at 4:52 pm)JesusChristIsLord69 Wrote: Well there you go. How often have you heard of a gay man disliking women? Why is there such as term as fag hag yet no equivalent for men? It's because by and large, lesbians don't like men. They want nothing to do with men.

Do you actually know any lesbians or is this just what you heard on the television? None of what you said is 'by and large' true.

As you know, gays being friends with straight women is common. You've heard of a fag hag, right? If what I'm saying isn't true, then prove it. If lesbians being friends with straight men is such a common thing, then where's the evidence? I could refer you to a sitcom based entirely around the friendship between a gay man and his fag hag, and I could refer you to so much more that proves that gays and straight women get on well. But can you prove that lesbians and straight men have the same relationship?

I'm not interested in outliers, I want proof that it's common, just like it is with gays and straight females.
One of my best friends is a lesbian. I've had at least four others I've been close to at one point or another. I'd like to say I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but I do: you're certain that a stereotype is true and you're asking us to explain why, knowing that nobody who answers will even agree with your premise.

Maybe lesbians hate you, but who could blame them?
(March 30, 2014 at 5:00 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: One of my best friends is a lesbian. I've had at least four others I've been close to at one point or another. I'd like to say I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but I do: you're certain that a stereotype is true and you're asking us to explain why, knowing that nobody who answers will even agree with your premise.

Maybe lesbians hate you, but who could blame them?

No, lesbians by and large dislike men. I suppose it's possible, maybe, for a lesbian to be friendly with a wussy man, the kind of man who is practically an honorary woman. How many lesbians do you know? Four, you say?
(March 30, 2014 at 5:00 pm)JesusChristIsLord69 Wrote: I'm not interested in outliers, I want proof that it's common, just like it is with gays and straight females.

What sort of proof are you looking for? I mean your whole proof is just a silly argument that 'everyone knows what I'm saying to be true.' That's not proof it's just stupid.
Sexism cuts both ways. I know a few women (a few of my friends) who are downright belligerent when it comes to men. These are heterosexual women.

Be careful with stereotypes. They're usually wrong.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social democracy in Europe without 5 minutes Interaktive 1 592 January 3, 2023 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Men are robbers Interaktive 11 1573 November 10, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3054 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2220 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Social Security and wealth. Brian37 20 1119 July 9, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does positive masculinity exist? Men correct the woman. Aroura 52 4566 October 1, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Black men kneeling Foxaèr 18 2580 May 26, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What Is This All Men Are Equal Under The Law Shit? Minimalist 10 3392 May 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  What Do You Call a Fiscal Progressive and a Social Conservative? InquiringMind 44 8628 February 16, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Were social justice warriors responsible for the election outcome? TaraJo 172 18563 December 24, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger