Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does positive masculinity exist? Men correct the woman.
Does positive masculinity exist? Men correct the woman.
Well, apparently this thread is retarded.  I retract my ideas about positive masculinity.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Positive Masculinity, what does it look like?
Loyalty, not blind loyalty.

Bravery? You can be brave and dead wrong at the same time.

Protector? Women can protect men too.

Providing for your family? Again, what works isn't whom does what, but that it works.

Mentoring? Still not a gender issue.

Solidarity/friendship, commitment...... See point #1 above.

Critical thinking? I think that is where it starts, and good communication skills. But that is with any relationship.
(September 29, 2018 at 1:01 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Loyalty, not blind loyalty.

Providing for your family? Again, what works isn't whom does what, but that it works.

Critical thinking? I think that is where it starts, and good communication skills. But that is with any relationship.

Are you arguing there are no positive masculine traits?  Talk about stabbing yourself in the foot.  I'm trying to point out that masculinity can be very positive.  Do you disagree?

Sometimes I think you argue just to argue. This isn't one of the positive traits (always wanting to be right).  Just saying.

Everything can be done by women as well.  Duh.

Hey that reminds me, working well with others!  That can be a positive masculine trait.  Group coordination.
(September 29, 2018 at 1:08 pm)Aroura Wrote:
(September 29, 2018 at 1:01 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Loyalty, not blind loyalty.

Are you arguing there are no positive masculine traits?  Talk about stabbing yourself in the foot.  I'm trying to point out that masculinity can be very positive.  Do you disagree?

Sometimes I think you argue just to argue. This isn't one of the positive traits (always wanting to be right).  Just saying.

Hey that reminds me, working well with others!  That can be a positive masculine trait.  Group coordination.

While I disagree with Brian on almost everything, I think he's simply saying that your listed traits are not just masculine traits, but feminine traits as well.

These days, women can do anything a man can do, and it's taboo to even hint that there's a difference. This goes to political correctness as well, it's ok to point out the things women are capable of that men cannot (giving birth, breastfeeding etc) but all hell breaks loose if someone tries to say men have some type of quality or gift that women do not.
Death is a debt we all must pay.
(September 29, 2018 at 1:35 pm)Grim Wrote:
(September 29, 2018 at 1:08 pm)Aroura Wrote: Are you arguing there are no positive masculine traits?  Talk about stabbing yourself in the foot.  I'm trying to point out that masculinity can be very positive.  Do you disagree?

While I disagree with Brian on almost everything, I think he's simply saying that your listed traits are not just masculine traits, but feminine traits as well.

These days, women can do anything a man can do, and it's taboo to even hint that there's a difference. This goes to political correctness as well, it's ok to point out the things women are capable of that men cannot (giving birth, breastfeeding etc) but all hell breaks loose if someone tries to say men have some type of quality or gift that women do not.

/facepalm.
Critical thinking is masculine?
(September 29, 2018 at 2:16 pm)Aroura Wrote:
(September 29, 2018 at 1:35 pm)Grim Wrote: While I disagree with Brian on almost everything, I think he's simply saying that your listed traits are not just masculine traits, but feminine traits as well.

/facepalm.

(September 29, 2018 at 2:20 pm)SaStrike Wrote: Critical thinking is masculine?

See?
Death is a debt we all must pay.

No!  No more than aggressiveness belongs solely to men.  Women can be violent, too.

OMG, you guys.  There is a thread discussing things that men can do that are toxic.  This is a thread to discuss things that men can do that are positive.

I started a thread to try and focus on positive things for guys, instead of negative.  And the first three men in it shit all over the idea.

Well done.  Point taken.  Men really are assholes. You three win the argument by not understanding it, strawmanning it, and making someone trying to stand up for something good feel like shit. /congratz.  I almost forgot there for a minute what a bunch of assholes you guys really can be.

No you are right, apparently masculinity IS toxic. Well played! You guys outhought the woman and proved your point.

Seriously, I don't even know why I fucking try.
(September 29, 2018 at 2:26 pm)Aroura Wrote:

No!  No more than aggressiveness belongs solely to men.  Women can be violent, too.

OMG, you guys.  There is a thread discussing things that men can do that are toxic.  This is a thread to discuss things that men can do that are positive.

I started a thread to try and focus on positive things for guys, instead of negative.  And the first three men in it shit all over the idea.

Well done.  Point taken.  Men really are assholes. You three win the argument by not understanding it, strawmanning it, and making someone trying to stand up for something good feel like shit. /congratz.  I almost forgot there for a minute what a bunch of assholes you guys really can be.

No you are right, apparently masculinity IS toxic. Well played! You guys outhought the woman and proved your point.

I didn't disagree with you. I wanted to know your reasoning behind why you considered it a masculine trait. I thought masculine meant relating to men?

(September 29, 2018 at 2:26 pm)Grim Wrote:
(September 29, 2018 at 2:16 pm)Aroura Wrote: /facepalm.

See?

I actually slightly agree with her, males tend to be better at critical thinking. Just didn't expect anyone to outright say it, as it can come off as sexist.
(September 29, 2018 at 2:31 pm)SaStrike Wrote:
(September 29, 2018 at 2:26 pm)Aroura Wrote: No!  No more than aggressiveness belongs solely to men.  Women can be violent, too.

I didn't disagree with you. I wanted to know your reasoning behind why you considered it a masculine trait. I thought masculine meant relating to men?

All traits can be either. That's just completely besides the point I was trying to make.

I wanted to try to give some examples of things men might adopt as positive examples in place of the toxic ones, and role models for such traits. I wanted to focus on positive behaviors instead of all the threads focusing on the negative ones.

This is in opposition to the toxic masculinity thread. We are discussing masculinity. Men can be empathic, and nurturing, traits generally associated with women, as I said in my OP. Few things should be genderized. Which I thought was clear in my op. That's the point of this entire post, if anyone bothered to actually read past the first few lines. Men can have what are often viewed as feminine traits and still be strong men.

Again, just thought I'd try and be positive about men instead of shitting all over them. Lesson learned.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Men are robbers Interaktive 11 1543 November 10, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Blue Lives Don't Exist Foxaèr 236 11228 October 17, 2020 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Donald Trump and Melania test positive for Coronavirus zebo-the-fat 42 2707 October 4, 2020 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Does the positive side of tribalism/racism outshine the negative side? Greatest I am 58 2113 August 13, 2020 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Toxic masculinity and sexual assault RobbyPants 71 5817 September 30, 2018 at 9:38 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  The political side that is the "correct" side. Catholic_Lady 34 5442 May 29, 2018 at 12:12 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Black men kneeling Foxaèr 18 2569 May 26, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Republican advisor made a woman a sex slave Rev. Rye 67 7915 April 12, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Dems pick LGBT woman of color for SOTU rebuttal John V 10 1831 January 27, 2018 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  What Is This All Men Are Equal Under The Law Shit? Minimalist 10 3370 May 24, 2017 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: NuclearEnergy