Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organ donor rejected....
Organ donor rejected....
...for being gay, of course.

First of all, let me state that I know, not believe or think, but I know this policy of gay men being unable to donate blood, plasma, or organs is just plain ignorant.

I understand the medical excuse provided, that gay men born after 1977 may have HIV. The fact of the matter is that the medical profession is treating their rejection as though only gay men contract HIV. The fact of the matter is that HIV is statistically higher in heterosexuals than homosexuals. The medical profession behaves as though heterosexuals do not have unprotected sex due to promiscuity.

The clear prejudice of gay men from the medical profession must stop.

Quote: A dead Pittsburgh man's healthy organs were not allowed to be donated because he was gay, it's claimed.

The family of Rohn Neugebauer, who died from a heart attack on Mar. 16, say Center for Organ Recovery and Education officials rejected his other organs and tissue because of his sexuality.

Sandy Schultheis, the 48-year-old's sister, claims that after he died she was asked a series of questions from a CORE representative.

All was going well until she revealed he was gay and had been in a committed relationship for eight years.

It was then that the CORE staffer revealed that he wouldn't be an eligible donor.

There is "no blanket prohibition on organ donations from sexually active gay men," according to ThinkProgress

However, guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention state that "men who have had sex with another man in the preceding 5 years" should be excluded from donation.

This, it adds, is "regardless of their HIV antibody test results."

Neugebauer's partner Dan Burda, who somewhat ironically had recently raised $7,000 during a CORE fundraiser, took to Facebook to complain about the decision.

"It really makes me nauseous to think they declined him. I think it's very prejudiced, implying that basically that gay people all have AIDS and HIV," he said.

The story was picked up and covered by local Pittsburgh NBC affiliate WPXI. However, the article was pulled down hours after publication.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national...-1.1740175
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Organ donor rejected....
'murica Dodgy
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
That gets a serious "WTF?" in my book.

I mean, even if it were true that homosexual males were ten times more likely to be HIV positive, why not test him and find out? It's not like we have a surplus of used organs sitting around.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 31, 2014 at 11:22 am)Faith No More Wrote: That gets a serious "WTF?" in my book.

I mean, even if it were true that homosexual males were ten times more likely to be HIV positive, why not test him and find out? It's not like we have a surplus of used organs sitting around.

Yeah, I was just thinking, "if only there was some way to know who does and does not have HIV..." Thinking
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Even more ridiculous is that if nothing was said as to the guy being gay, his organs would have been donated without a problem? Mmm-k.

It is discrimination. Unfortunately, despite the civil rights laws and progress, we can't regulate individual ignorance and bigotry.
Perhaps you can catch gay from somebodies kidneys?

I dunno, it's hard to think of a reason.
Sith code
(March 31, 2014 at 11:09 am)Kitanetos Wrote: The fact of the matter is that HIV is statistically higher in heterosexuals than homosexuals.
Not in America, where this occurred. According to the CDC:
Quote:Although MSM represent about 4% of the male population in the United States4, in 2010, MSM accounted for 78% of new HIV infections among males and 63% of all new infections2. MSM accounted for 52% of all people living with HIV infection in 2009, the most recent year these data are available1.
2% of the population, 52% of the HIV.

(March 31, 2014 at 11:22 am)Faith No More Wrote: That gets a serious "WTF?" in my book.

There's a lag between infection, and infection showing up in testing. For traditional antibody tests the delay can be 3 - 6 months. Some newer tests have less of a delay, but there's still delay.
Its not like a gay mans liver is gay. But it would be called a Liverace!!
This is like one of those things where I think the patient should be able to decide whether he would like to receive the "gay" liver or not.

If I needed a liver I would take 1000 gay livers. I just want to LIVE.

Well, since I'm female I would have to take lesbian livers. Which is fine too.

In my personal opinion, America has extremely poor quality management when it comes to our health care.

What are they like... hmmm we'd rather him die from liver failure than get a gay liver since you know AIDS and shit.
(March 31, 2014 at 11:42 am)alpha male Wrote:
(March 31, 2014 at 11:09 am)Kitanetos Wrote: The fact of the matter is that HIV is statistically higher in heterosexuals than homosexuals.
Not in America, where this occurred. According to the CDC:
Quote:Although MSM represent about 4% of the male population in the United States4, in 2010, MSM accounted for 78% of new HIV infections among males and 63% of all new infections2. MSM accounted for 52% of all people living with HIV infection in 2009, the most recent year these data are available1.
2% of the population, 52% of the HIV.

There's a lag between infection, and infection showing up in testing. For traditional antibody tests the delay can be 3 - 6 months. Some newer tests have less of a delay, but there's still delay.
Credit for getting a good source. However...

Quote: Blacks/African Americans continue to experience the most severe burden of HIV, compared with other races and ethnicities.

Blacks represent approximately 12% of the U.S. population, but accounted for an estimated 44% of new HIV infections in 2010. 

Do they let black people donate? Panic
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump’s Russia-U.S. Comparison Rejected by Democrats and Republicans Foxaèr 22 3401 February 9, 2017 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Amarok