Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Krav Maga
Krav Maga
I've been interested in studying Krav Maga ever since I first heard of it. Now I discover that a studio has opened in my neighborhood (a five minute walk from my place)!

Has anyone here had experience with Krav Maga? If so, did you enjoy the training? What is your assessment of its effectiveness in street combat situations? Please share.
RE: Krav Maga
I saw a video of Krav Maga that explained simply take away a person's gun... I want to DO this...

I tried the local Jewish Community center... they never even TOLD me if they were doing Krav Maga...

Krav Maga is a Hebrew thing, right Wink

DAMN THAT JEW CONSPIRACY THING... says every stupid person and neo-nazi EVER... Tongue

Look up the Hebrew Hammer... it's a parody of Shaft where Shaft is Jewish... I'm pretty sure the Hebrew Hammer never actually uses Krav Maga... I think this movie is HILARIOUS Wink
My dad has a friend who has done it for a while. He reckons it's pretty good at teaching you the things other martial arts don't (like going for the eyes and balls) but used on its own (like most martial arts) it's still not enough to prepare you fully for a real street fight.
I got black belt in krav maga when I was serving in Duvdevan special forces.
(March 31, 2014 at 5:03 pm)Napoléon Wrote: My dad has a friend who has done it for a while. He reckons it's pretty good at teaching you the things other martial arts don't (like going for the eyes and balls) but used on its own (like most martial arts) it's still not enough to prepare you fully for a real street fight.

No doubt. However, from what I've heard about it, KM would be an excellent supplement to the arts I have trained. I'm not looking for a one-size-fits-all fighting system, just more tools I can have at the ready if things go bad and self-defense becomes necessary.

(March 31, 2014 at 5:10 pm)tor Wrote: I got black belt in krav maga when I was serving in Duvdevan special forces.

Tell me more. Angel Cloud
You don't have to believe me. No one does. Being perceived as average person is important in spec ops. Makes job easier.
(March 31, 2014 at 5:20 pm)tor Wrote: You don't have to believe me. No one does. Being perceived as average person is important in spec ops. Makes job easier.

I didn't say I don't believe you. I'm genuinely curious to hear what you have to say.
Real Krav Maga is killer. There are a lot of posers out there calling themselves Krav Maga but they are more like an aerobic workout.
(March 31, 2014 at 4:52 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: I'vever been interested in studying Krav Maga ever since I first heard of it. Now I discover that a studio has opened in my neighborhood (a five minute walk from my place)!

Has anyone here had experience with Krav Maga? If so, did you enjoy the training? What is your assessment of its effectiveness in street combat situations? Please share.

Never done km, however I do have experience of goju karate, San shou, tkd and kyushinkai jiu jitsu.

My advice is to forget about Street combat situations Unless you are a professional doorman, (in which case KM is a terrible idea). If you want to learn to fight, I'd suggest something were you get punched in the face a lot. It's amazing how your careful drills dissappear in that situation. However, you're vastly more likely to be injured learning a martial art than on the street! If you want to learn something to keep you safe, psychology is a better bet. If you want to train for fun, shop around until you find an art which suits you.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(March 31, 2014 at 5:24 pm)Crossless1 Wrote:
(March 31, 2014 at 5:20 pm)tor Wrote: You don't have to believe me. No one does. Being perceived as average person is important in spec ops. Makes job easier.

I didn't say I don't believe you. I'm genuinely curious to hear what you have to say.

Krav Maga was part of my training. But so were many other things.
You can simply check out krav maga experts in your area. Pick the one you like and practice with em. Practice makes perfect.
I never had to use it though. You rarely get opportunity to use hands against terrorists with guns.